What's new

Bruce, why is your TOM JONES release mono only? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought this album back in 1963. It was on the UA label and was stereo (although a mono edition was also available). I'm a stereo guy, and like to have music that was recorded in stereo in stereo. I do understand that sound quality issues can determine whether the original stereo tapes are used or mixed to mono. What was the case here?

Many thanks

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My name isn't Bruce, nor do I have the CD (I thought I did, but I was mistaken).
Regardless, I remembered reading about that -- and sure enough, here it is on the product page. I'd hazard a guess that it's in the liner notes as well.

http://www.kritzerland.com/tomjones.htm

"...the Tom Jones soundtrack was a huge best-selling album on United Artists Records. The original LP was released in both stereo and mono - or was it? For years, it's been presumed that the stereo tapes were lost, because only the mono album master was in the vaults of MGM. However, as anyone who owned the stereo pressing knew, it wasn't stereo at all - both LP releases, despite what the album cover said, were mono - no stereo tapes ever existed - the score was recorded and released in mono only."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Charles Smith said:
My name isn't Bruce, nor do I have the CD (I thought I did, but I was mistaken).
Regardless, I remembered reading about that -- and sure enough, here it is on the product page. I'd hazard a guess that it's in the liner notes as well.

http://www.kritzerland.com/tomjones.htm

"...the Tom Jones soundtrack was a huge best-selling album on United Artists Records. The original LP was released in both stereo and mono - or was it? For years, it's been presumed that the stereo tapes were lost, because only the mono album master was in the vaults of MGM. However, as anyone who owned the stereo pressing knew, it wasn't stereo at all - both LP releases, despite what the album cover said, were mono - no stereo tapes ever existed - the score was recorded and released in mono only."
Obviously I shoulda done my homework. That' fascinating about the stereo vs. mono releases being one in the same. I was had! (But I was only 13 at the time, so I'll cut myself a tiny bit of slack.) In any case, the sound quality is remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks