Bruce Lee vs. Ali

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bill Griffith, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Did this exhibition fight ever take place. My friend says it did and I figure I would have heard about it, if it did and I've never heard about it.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Sounds like an urban legend. If it did happen I'm sure it would come up in every documentary about either of these men.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

afaik, bruce lee never fought ali....but i'm not 100%.

not like it would matter. we all know who would the undisputed kick-ass winner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

i am pretty sure that fight didn't happen...it would have been cool to see that fight though, i think i could have spared the couple of seconds it would have taken.

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

The only thing I ever heard about Lee and Ali was that Lee once said that Ali would be the only man he'd ever be afraid to fight because he thought Ali had the best footwork he'd ever seen. Lee then went on and tried to incorporate that footwork into his martial arts. That said, if they ever had fought, I would have bet on Bruce [​IMG]

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It never happened. When the press asked Bruce who would win in the fight Lee siad this:

"Look at these hands. These are little Chinese hands. He'd murder me."

Remember Ali was damn good in Karate as well, and he sparred countless times. I'd still root for Bruce no matter what.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Are we talking an all out brawl, or a match with rules? If there's no hitting below the belt, I'd go with Ali. He could defend his head pretty easily, and he could take plenty of blows, but I doubt Bruce could take as many of Ali's punches.

But if Bruce could use leg sweeps and stuff like that, which would keep Ali off balance and having to not protect his head enough, Bruce might win, as long as Ali didn't land too many punches.

I guess the real question is, how often did Bruce really fight? The stuff they do in movies isn't what real martial arts is about. I realize Bruce was a true master of kung-fu or whatever he practiced, but still how often did he truly fight? You look at rope-a-dope and you can see the kind of abuse Ali could take and still win. That man was something else.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ali did, near the end of his career fight a kick-boxer. However, he never fought with Bruce Lee [​IMG]

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Ali would never submit himself to that.

13. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Ali would have kicked Bruce's arse. Bruce made movies to get paid, Ali kicked real butt to get paid.

14. Donovan

Donovan Agent

Gotta disagree with you there Drew. If you ever watched any of the UFC/Pride type tournaments, you would have seen many a boxer types being owned. Royce Gracie and and his brothers offered multi-million dollar challenges to Mike Tyson and Roy Jones to last 3 minutes in the ring with them and none of them accepted.

My money is on Bruce.

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ali got killed by a Kickboxer. Lee would take him. The thing is, you can have raw power - and there is no doubt, if Ali were to get a dead on punch @ Lee it would be over - but it can't overcome agility. The advantage that Lee would have - his ability to utilize skills Ali had never trained in.. like Leg Sweeps and defending his knees & whole body - would be difficult. In boxing, you can't punch someone in the legs or kick them in their shins...

16. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Regarding Ali vs. "the Japanese kickboxer"....it was actually Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki. The 15 round fight ended in a draw....check it out.

As for the fight of Bruce Lee vs. some guy on a movie set, it was depicted in the movie "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story".

I am putting my money on Bruce.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

19. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'd have to bet on Bruce too. If he could get at Ali's legs, it'd be all over. That is not to say Ali didn't stand a chance, one well-placed punch and things would turn out very differently. Plus Ali knew Karate, so his arsenal wouldn't be limited to his fists.

I once read an interview with Jean-Claude Van Damme, where he was asked if he could defeat Mike Tyson (this is in 1995). Van Damme said something like "a kickboxer has weapons a boxer lacks. If I got in close, I could break his legs." of course, he didn't say how things would go if they had to fight under boxing rules [​IMG]

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m just trying to decide if a dead guy has the reflexes to beat an advanced case of Parkinson’s. [​IMG]