What's new

Bruce Almighty DVD - a scene has been cut? (1 Viewer)

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched Universal's Bruce Almighty on the recent DVD release, and I noticed they took out a line from the theatrical release. After Bruce is constantly having a bad day and he runs his car into a lamp post, he starts going ballistic at God for the all things that have happen in his life. Just at the point before he says the f... word to God, that scene has been cut.

I guess Universal got a lot of complaints about that line, so they must have given in and cut it out of the movie. I can understand why many people would be upset, but I don't think they should have deleted that part of the movie. It's just plain censorship. Or is it another screw up from Universal as the Back to the Future and the Monty Python's Meaning of life debacles?

perrin

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I don't remember such a scene existing. The only f-word I recall is when he says "Back to you....f*****s!" while on the air.

A quick trip to www.screenit.com seems to confirm there was only one....but even they have it worded vaguely.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Nick. The only he time he utters the f-word is when he is live at Niagra Falls. I remember reading somewhere that a PG-13 movie is allowed one f-word.

They did edit the movie somewhere else though. The phone number that appears on the beeper was changed from a real number to the Hollywood classic: 555-XXXX. I don't remember the last 4 digits.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
555-0123...just watched this last night! :)

Never saw it theatrically, so I can't comment on whether scenes were changed. My wife and I enjoyed this, though. And I happened to recall the phone # on the beeper.

If it was changed, they must have planned for it. "Bruce" even reads it aloud, perhaps a couple of times. Yeah, they could have looped it, though. What did the "real" # lead to? If dialed, was it a planned promotional recording or did it actually accidentally lead to a person? If the latter, I'd be amazed, because Hollywood is usually very good about that sort of thing after all the trouble in the 70s/80s with making up numbers and having them turn out to be real!

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

I doubt it. It's obvious that there was some editing happening. When he said "555", the dial tone of the phone when he was dialing at the same time didn't match the numbers...they were different for the three sounds. Plus, the three "5"s that he said sound exactly the same, they probably just looped it or something.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
There was a big stink about the original number. I'm surprised you guys don't remember. It rang some old lady in Florida if I recall. She was none too happy about all the people ringing her up asking for God. Changing the number was probably a term agreed upon in a lawsuit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
maybe someone should start a thread that accumulates all the things people mis-remember from a theatrical - home release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks