What's new

Browse My Vast DVD Collection... (1 Viewer)

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
An overload of cinema, over 300 exactly, in my sig. Can anyone tell me what my best ones are? I was really inspired by the best, worst, and need 3 thread for this post.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I can't play in the other thread since my collection isn't online, but since you solicited opinions, here's mine:

Best:

Rear Window
The Godfather
Casablanca

Worst:

Annie Hall
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Rushmore

Most needed:

The Apartment
The Gold Rush (1925)
Toy Story

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Very Great Collection!

I'll just added some "what you need" DVD!

- Bad Boys: Special Edition (You have Bad Boys II)
- Jurassic Park II & III (If you like it)
- Girl, Interrupted (Great DVD, and you have One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, it's the same style)
- The Hire: BMW Films (You can get it on the BMW Website)
- Conan the Barbarian (the Heroic-Fantasy Classic)
- Star Wars I, Star Wars II (Well, if you like them!)
- Enemy of the State (You can wait the SE...)
- Animatrix (Essential to all Matrix Fans)
- Matrix Revisited (If you like documentary, this one is really great)
- Blade (You have Blade II)
- Donnie Darko (Great weird movie!)
- From Dusk Till Dawn!
- The Mummy, The Mummy II (If you like the Adventures-comedy)
- Nightmare before Christmas (Very Cool Animation from Burton!)
- Brotherhood of the Wolf (Greah French Flick!)
- Amélie (Same thing!)
- Pirates of the Carribeans

That's it!

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Hey Mike I suggest picking up the hitchcock criterion box while u can. I just picked it up today! Are collection looks somewhat similar!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Great collection, but every great collection needs to include as many of the wonderful Warner Bros. 2-Disc SE's as possible. Given a collection so large, I find these to be glaring omissions. Particularly the older classics:

-The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
-Yankee Doodle Dandy
-Treasure of the Sierra Madre
-Singin' in the Rain
-My Fair Lady

All but one of the films I've named above are in the AFI Top 100. All of them are packed with special features, including original shorts & deleted scenes & most of them contain more than one documentary spanning at least an hour on subject such as: The Arthur Freed Unit at MGM, the history of Technicolor, the making of each of these films, and career profiles of actors & filmmakers such as James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart & John Huston.

I see you like Bogey from the presence of "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon" in your collection, which is why I'm floored that you don't own "Treasure of the Sierra Madre". If you liked Michael Curtiz's direction in "Casablanca" (and how can someone not?), you'd enjoy seeing the sheer range he had with the wildly entertaining musical "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and the Technicolor swashbuckler "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Don't listen to this:

It's a great film. As a matter of fact, your collection needs more Woody. I'd start with these, in order:

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Manhattan
Hannah and Her Sisters

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Not to rain on your parade - you are off to a good start - but you have to realise that 300 titles is far from "vast" on the HTF. Many of us have well over 300 titles in a single genre.

Keep up the good work.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Mark is partly right. :) You do need more Woody. But he's still wrong about Annie Hall, and most of his recommendations are more of the same (i.e., overrated Woody) :)

What you need is some underrated, but much better Woody. Films like:

Manhattan Murder Mystery
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Sex
Play It Again, Sam
Zelig
The Purple Rose Of Cairo
Take The Money & Run

(I noticed you already have Sleeper and Bananas :emoji_thumbsup: )

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
You wanna step outside George? :D

I'm one of those who believe Woody's career began in 1975 and was brilliant through the mid 90s with only a few hiccups along the way.

Crimes is his best, absolutely briliant. (IMHO)

but then again, this thread is about Michael's collection.

BTW, couldn't agree more about your other "worst" selections. I'd add "Natural Born Killers" to the unholy trilogy.

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Nice mixture of oldies but goldies and future classics.

Some quick suggestions from a musical fan, here:

A Hard Day's Night: The "Citizen Kane of jukebox musicals."

Almost Famous: The best movie about rock and roll..and one written from the heart (Cameron Crowe's best movie to date).

The Buddy Holly Story: Kind of misses the boat in terms of historical facts, but extremely entertaining nonetheless. Gary Busey BECOMES Buddy Holly (and it's got a terrific commentary track, too; bargain priced nowadays if I'm not mistaken).

Jeffrey

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Uh-oh. Them's fightin' words!! Rushmore, while admittedly not to everyone's taste, should not be on any "worst" list, IMHO. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I should clarify (as those who know me from other threads know all too well), that the films I selected as worse were not based on production values, or acting (i.e., weren't necessarily bad in the Ed Wood sense), but rather the ones I'd least want to own, God forbid have to ever watch again. As with all films, each has their advocates and detractors, but I certainly would never want to watch Rushmore again.

As for Woody Allen, all I can say is that there are definitely two Woody Allen camps, and I fall into one, Mark in the other. However, unless physically speaking, Mark is more like Woody than I am (an unlikely proposition), I'll have to pass on stepping outside. :)

I do think Crimes and Misdemeanors is easily the best of the four films Mark likes of his (that were mentioned here), it just misses for reasons I won't go into.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks