Browns fans...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Geeeze... you guys see what happened today at the end of the game? Definitly an embarassment for the Cleveland community. Sheesh! (Post made ambiguous on purpose) [​IMG]

2. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

The refs totally screwed up that game. First of all, I don't think there was undisputable evidence that the play wasn't a completion, but that's immaterial because the Browns got off another play after that. You can't go back two plays to review a call. The refs really dropped the ball on that game. They are going to hear about it for weeks to come, as well they should.

Now, that being said, the actions of the Cleveland fans were utterly and totally inexcusable. They behaved like a pack of wild animals.

3. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Whoopdee-doo. They threw a bunch of plastic beer bottles on the field. Nothing compared to those New York fans several years ago that were throwing ice balls at the officials.

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

5. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

One bad call and a Soccer match breaks out! Looked like they were throwing them at the Refs from my vantage point (behind my beer on the Lay-Z-Boy). A plastic bottle 1/2 filled with beer wold still hurt like a [email protected]! Twas a VERY bad call by the refs though. No excuse for grown men to act like children like that though.

6. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

quote:

Whoopdee-doo. They threw a bunch of plastic beer bottles on the field. Nothing compared to those New York fans several years ago that were throwing ice balls at the officials.

Of course, what was I thinking? That makes the behavior perfectly acceptable. How dare I make a judgement that maybe the Cleveland crowd should have refrained from throwing objects, whatever the size or shape. The fact is, those people could've been throwing freakin' stuffed animals, their actions were reckless and downright stupid.

7. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

The refs let the game get out of control. They should be reprimanded. I agree that the instant replay did not show indisputable evidence that the catch was not made. As a result, the catch should NOT have been overruled. Additionally, a play can not be reviewed once another play has been run. From all indications, another play WAS ran before the request for a review made its way down to the refs on the field.

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, how do you go about making a point to fans who pride themselves on being called maniacs? Looked like a bunch of childish idiots and slobs today. What was worse was the way Carmen Policy was defending the actions instead of chastising them. Almost like leading a rioter to a window factory.

Bruce

10. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Lighten up people. Not the first time stuff was thrown on the field and not the last.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The fan behavior was inexcusable, but what the hell was up with the refs? How on earth could they rationalize reversing a call after a subsequent play had taken place? Regardless of whether or not the original play was called correctly, allowing a subsequent play to take place, then review it, is a violation of one of the main tenets of play reviewing.
    My theory is that the refs are on a secret strike, and intentionally making really, really bad calls. [​IMG]
    P.S It seems like incidents with officials seem to happen with the Browns. Wasn't it 2 years ago when an official ended a guy's career by throwing a flag in his eye?
    -Dave

13. Randy Talbot

Randy Talbot Auditioning

Here is a link http://www.nfl.com/ce/multi/0,3783,4701306,00.html to the officials comments on the Browns game.

14. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Ummm...I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think that the officials made the right call.

The video clearly showed that he never had full control of the ball. Also, since it was a spike play, you have to go by their word of the official that the buzzer went off right before the ball was snapped. If it wasn't a spike play, there most likely would have been whistles blown is the middle of the play to call it off, even after the ball has been snapped, a la a false start call.

The fact that it was a spike play was the only reason that it looked so strange.

And for the fans behavior, I think that wasn't quite as bad as the behavior that Carmen Policy showed after the game, basically backing up the fan's "reactions". Nice job condoning a riot mentality in your fans...sheesh.

15. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I'm with Mike here. After watching the replays on ESPN, I don't think that you could help but overrule the call and call it an incompletion. But regardless of whether it is the right or wrong call, it's no reason to start pelting the referees and the field with beer.

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I was surprised to see Carmen Policy condoning the Cleveland fans actions in a postgame press conference. Maybe next week the front office can hand out glass bottles instead of plastic ones to give the fans better weapons. [​IMG]
    If the official's buzzer went off before the snap, as he claims, then the referee made the right decision. The timing couldn't have been worse, though.
    Phil Luckett wasn't involved by any chance, was he? That guy seems to be in the middle of all the controversial plays -- Testaverde's "non-fumble" getting the Jets into the playoffs, the incorrect coin flip call in the Detroit - Pittsburgh Thanksgiving Day game, and breaking up a touchdown pass to Saints receiver Joe Horn by getting in the way of a long post pattern. [​IMG]

17. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Based on the replay alone, it was an incomplete pass. There is almost no debate on that point. The replay "clearly" showed the ball coming out of his hands as he landed.

From the NFL rule book.

Forward pass

============

8. A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

The refs were within the rules by removing participants from the field, but were incorrect in terminating the game.

Authority of Referee

====================

1. If a referee determines that an emergency warrants immediate removal of participants from the playing field for safety reasons, he may do so on his own authority. If, however, circumstances allow him the time, he must reach the highest ranking full-time League office representative working at the game in a "control" capacity or the game-day duty officer designated by the League (by telephone, if that person is not in attendance) and discuss the actual or potential emergency with such representative or duty officer. That representative or duty officer then will make the final decision on removal of participants from the field or obtain a decision from the Commissioner or League President.

4. The referee must not, before a decision is reached, make an announcement on his microphone concerning the possibility of a cancellation, postponement, or termination unless instructed to do so by an appropriate representative of the Commissioner's office.

10. Under no circumstances is the referee authorized to cancel, postpone, terminate, or declare forfeiture of a game unilaterally.

Whether the play was reviewable is another matter though; and that is probably the only legitimate ground for complaint.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

19. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I was appalled. You'd never see the sort of behavior from MY home town sports fans! :b