brownish-red whoes on Mits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick_L, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i have a 5 year old 50" Mits RPTV and on darker scenes LATELY it seems that there are alot of brownish-reds in the picture. i thought it might just be the current movie that i was watching, but the last 5 movies were like that. i used VE approx 10 months ago (rented), but haven't changed the settings since (i live alone and my g/f knows better than to mess with it) [​IMG] i'm just guessing here, but is my RED crt going out??
    ------------------
    Patrick

2. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

anybody??? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Patrick

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Are you saying that anything that should be red on the screen, anywhere on the screen, is brownish? And also things that should be bright yellow are sort of greenish, and white seems to be bluish (cyan)?
    It is possible for one of the CRT's (the red in your case), or one of the three color delivering components in a direct view tube, to age faster and in your case deliver less red content compared with the green and blue content. See if there is a service menu setting to boost the red and counteract this. (Sometimes you have to twist pots in the back).
    As a last resort they make a "picture tube rejuvenator" that usually looks like a size D battery with pigtails at both ends, you connect this between the CRT and its socket pigtail and it overvoltages the filament so more electrons are generated to fire at the screen face. Then as the tube ages some more and dims you connect a second, then a third, etc. rejuvenator daisy chained until the picture tube filament burns out then you need a new picture tube (or red gun in this case.)
    Service shops may have a second kind of rejuvenator that overvoltages the filament one time for a few seconds to evaporate off an electron inhibiting layer (formed over time/age) on a sleeve (called the cathode) over the filament (it might burn out the filament then and there, that is your risk).
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 30, 2001 at 07:02 AM]

4. CaspianM

CaspianM Stunt Coordinator

If I understand the question correctly is that your dark scenes that should look black looks redish.
    If so, it is the gray scale problem. As the tubes get older the GS shifts toward red.
    [Edited last by Mahmood M on July 29, 2001 at 06:08 PM]

5. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit