Brothers buying RPT today-any do the squeeze for under 1600.00 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

As the title says!
    Budget is firm and he's looking at 50"inchers. Yes, a tall and probley impos order to fill.
    If theres just nothing available doing the squeeze at this price point and 50 or bigger, can you recommend some good quality 4.3's for him to look at.
    He will buy today period, and just trying to help, I dont know squat when it comes to TV's or RPTV's. (90% of his viewing will be straight 4.3 stuff and aside from DVD, a roof top antenna will be the primary signal source. In time a dish, but his just built new house commands the budget. The 1600.00 was set aside from the start for a RPT, hence the FIRM budget.
    Oh, and good golly, his store selection will be from, Sears, Best Buy, Circuit City, ABC Warehouse, and Wards ~ scary ...
    Our area handels, Toshi, Panasonic, Hitichi, Sony, RCA, Magnavox, Samsung, Philips, posibly ProScan and other knock offs. Remember 48" or bigger in screen size, very big room!
    ==========
    So any ideas with model numbers please, would be very much apreciated!!!
    =========
    Thanks
    Geoff
    Edit-
    Admin feel free to close...
    [Edited last by Geoff L on September 23, 2001 at 08:28 AM]

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HOw about the 47" widescreen Panny? Ive seen posts about people getting this for around $1500. I have seen this set after calibration and it looks EXTREMELY good.
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Greg,
    Like I said being brain dead wih TV thing, What panny model?
    And what happens when you wach 4.3 material on it. 90% of his viewing is going to be 4.3 stuff! Is it streched or black bars on sides. Sorry for the questions but I just dont know this stuff.
    Geoff
    Edit-
    Are the 4.3 pannys any good. Seen some very good prices in our area recently?
    [Edited last by Geoff L on September 22, 2001 at 11:22 AM]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I agree with Gregg. And there's no way that I would consider investing in an RPTV that isn't digital/prog scan-capable, etc. NTSC-only RPTVs are not a good investment in this transitional period. So, if your brother can find the new 47-inch 16:9 Panny for a good price, he should invest in that.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought the 47" Panasonic, and am quite content with it. Progressive scan DVD is awesome, and for regular broadcasts you get used to watching in wide mode. Plus, when HDTV becomes more popular you're covered. I paid $1699 for mine, but have heard of others getting it slightly cheaper.

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks guys
    Geoff
    Admin ~ feel free to close topic.