What's new

Brothers and Sisters season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show takes over the former timeslot from Grey's Anatomy on Sunday at 10 p.m. EDT on ABC.

It's got a good cast, but reviews have pegged it as being on the dull side from the start, but it could get better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't much like any of the characters in this drama. And it's jarring to see Ron Rifkin and Balthazar Getty on this show after their season on Alias last year, and then you have the Rifkin character acting all squirrelly, and you get flashbacks of his Sloane character, and then you get Patricia Wettig in the mix, and she played a shrink on Alias that had a short relationship with Sloane, it gets all weird for me.

The disconnect between Sally Fields' character (mom) and Calista Flockhart's character (Kitty) that superficially appears to be rooted in their diametrically-opposed political beliefs rings false at this point, but perhaps there's something deeper going on as hinted by their heated discussion over the impact of 9/11 on them personally.

The pension-siphoning subplot isn't doing much for me. For now, too many good actors, but not quite hooked on the show just yet from the writing. Their saving grace is that there isn't much competition for them in their timeslot, so they'll get some episodes to settle in and get more interesting.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am sure it looked better on paper, but so far, this one is a real head-scratcher...

The program boasts an excellent cast (although I agree with Patrick, it is just plain WEIRD seeing Rifkin in this loopy "uncle" role!), and has solid creative credentials, but the main storyline (or lack thereof) is a real snoozer!

These characters are downright dull!

And, the pacing is slooowww... which doesn't help matters.

I think the reason Grey's Anatomy worked so well coming on the heels of Desperate Housewives, is that although it is a more traditional drama, it balances that drama with a sometimes zany outrageousness. And, the main characters are bigger than life! Ditto, Boston Legal, when it occupied the same timeslot... perhaps on an even broader scale.

The good news here is that the cast is solid and the creators have a decent track record. Let's hope they can figure this out in a hurry and come up with a way more interesting storyline than the one they trotted out for the pilot and make this show more compatible with its lead-in.

Otherwise, I'm afraid these Brothers & Sisters may not be enjoying too many more meals together.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, we have a family-owned business that's in serious trouble because of financial improprieties, and an extended family of siblings, each with his or her own crises. Hmm, is this going to be the dramatic version of "Arrested Development"??

Unfortunately, the answer right now is "No", at least based on episode 1. The big problem is that this is for the most part a seriously bland bunch of characters. I don't think it's important that they're likeable or not, as long as they're interesting... and so far they're not.

I will give kudos to Calista Flockhart, a fine actress who in the past was rarely given enough credit because of the ridiculous media obsession with her weight. It can't be an accident that the first lines spoken on this series were her Kitty Walker saying "I'm not the person you think I am" (or something to that effect). Kitty is NOT Ally McBeal, and Flockhart's engaging performance is the only thing that kept the pilot afloat (with a shout out to Sally Field - her kitchen scene near the end with Flockhart was riveting).

I'll keep watching for a few weeks, but if things don't liven up, I'm gone. Too much else to watch this year.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I thought it was ok, but definitely not the Best Pilot that I've seen this season. But the show has potential, so I'll give it a few more episodes. I like the idea of the show.

And this was a much better choice than watching that pathetic football game between the Patriots and Broncos on NBC.

A part of me was expecting Ron Rifkin's character to pull out a silencer and shoot the people that was questioning him on the finances of the company. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, I'm in the minority but I actually enjoyed the show. Sally Field, as always, is a pure pleasure to watch. The scene where Racheal Griffiths told Ron Rifkin not to treat her like a little kid was absolutely wonderful. The one part I didn't like was how the episode ended. It just kinda...sat there.

Plus, there were entirely too many montages and pop songs. Ugh! Whatever happened to the days of the writing and acting getting to the viewer's emotions instead of the song of the week? I'll be giving this one more time, even though some of the plotlines for the season are telegraphed entirely too early here:

- gay son brings a boyfriend home; hilarity ensues
- Afghanistan son descends into hell and eventually rises up to relcaim his life
- Calista Flockhart has problems living with a liberal mother while she's on a political talk show
- Ron Rifkin vs. the family over the business
- Rachael Griffiths and Michael Beach

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't too impressed with the pilot episode. It was too "soapy" for me. I'm not sure I will be watching this again. Not sure this show will last the season.

Since I have HBO On Demand, I was able to watch the new episode of The Wire, earlier in the week. I think I would have enjoyed re-watching that episode of The Wire instead of this show.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I gave it a try hoping it would be good. I needed a show to watch in that time slot. Sadly, it did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't like any of the characters and it had no entertainment value. I watch shows that let me escape from reality. I am only willing to watch a dysfunctional family if there is humor, or sci-fi or something to make me escape. Watching a family fight for an hour just isnt fun.

I am also not a big fan of Calista. She was on Leno the other day and didn't even know what Legos were. I mean, who has never heard of legos????

Now that she is getting older, she is looking more an more like a caricature of herself.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought the show was pretty good. I think it has potential. Maybe now that Marti is gone things will get better.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I enjoyed the show a lot more than I expected after reading the mixed reviews. It could use a bit of tightening, as the pilot dragged more than a couple of times. I loved the family interaction, especially between the siblings.

Considering that Calista is supposedly the focus of the show, I came away with the feeling that Sarah was the true focus. Rachel Griffiths is an amazing actress and it shows in every scene.

Oh and I detest Kitty's boyfriend, Jonathan, but I guess that is what they were shooting for.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the show is turning a corner. Now that the groundwork for some of the back history has been laid in its first 2 rocky episodes, it's starting to pay some dividends in developing the characters.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That is exactly what I was thinking when I watched tonight's episode. I thought it was the best episode, so far.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm enjoying the show so far, but I don't think TPTB are in sync with their audience. Jonathan is somewhat despised in my circle and quite a few that I talked with after the show tonight felt more for Holly than Nora. There a more a than a few things I dislike about Nora as a character, but sandbagging Holly was nasty. I wish the show was more focused on the core 5 siblings as I think that's where the real gold in this show lies.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Wull, YEAH! Exactly! The show is called "Brothers & Sisters," and the five of them need to be the spokes in the wheel, with Sally Field as the hub. The rest of the cast needs to pretty much shut up and look pretty.

As for ep #3, the show hasn't gotten over its dullness factor, and it still hasn't gotten past its "so-what?" factor. However, I had a think about this show: This is a show people want to succeed! I think generally viewers like the actors on this show. It's chock full of MY favorites, I can tell you. I don't want them to fall on their faces in a boring show. I want it to be a success and have people talking about it a lot. We need a good family drama. If things simply develop slowly in B&S land, that's fine, but so far it doesn't have any direction; any point. It needs to be ABOUT something, and it needs to be about the 5 adult siblings and their interactions with each other, not with random friends, lovers, one-night stands, whoever. 5 adult siblings, whose lives are still intertwined. That SEEMS to be what the title promises; that SHOULD be the shows' premise. So...is this going to happen???

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I haven't started watching the show yet, so discard what I have to say on that basis if you must, but as I read the feedback on the show, I have to say... those interactions with random friends, lovers, and one-night stands ultimately plays a significant part of shaping the brothers and sisters. Showing you the way they live and the experiences they encounter in the wild blue yonder ultimately helps you understand what they bring to the table when interacting with each other.

I've been reading the thread because I want the show to succeed as well, but I haven't started watching yet because my plate is full. I thought I'd save the shows and see what kind of feedback it gets before jumping in.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The show is not only about the 5 Walker siblings, but about the other generation of siblings: Nora and Saul. Saul had this secret about Holly that he kept from his sister all these years. That's got to wear on a person for the past 15 or more years, and now that it's out in the open, Nora can really nail Saul for his complicity in the matter.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'd argue that the supporting cast (lovers, friends, etc.) show us a great deal about the five main characters. We see the information/gossip chain in regards to Kitty and Warren. Is the information disseminated to be vulgar or nasty about her? No, it's simple family dynamics. This kind of stuff happens and everyone knows about it.

I thought the subplot with the granddaughter and the pool was absolutely spot on. This is quickly becoming an enjoyable hour. Not the best, mind you, but very very enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks