Brother - Region 3 NTSC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike H, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mike H

Mike H Stunt Coordinator

Movie : Brother
    Region : 3
    Distributor : Universe
    Summary: Great movie, non-anamorphic transfer is one of the best I've ever seen. DTS track has a lot of kick, and nice use of surrounds.
    Equip : Mitsu WS-55807, Malata N996, Infinity Reference Rs-4/Rs3/CC3 spekers, Sony WAM-40
    I've heard the Region 2 NTSC/PAL releases are even better than this one. I didn't relise when I ordered the DVD that this one was non-anamorphic. I thought I would be seriously disappointed with the transfer but in fact it wasn't bad. I used the zoom function from the Malata to zoom it to fill the screen and have a bit of overscan. The transfer had some shimmering here and there, but for the most part it was non-existant. I'm probably going to get the Region 2 release someday but for now I'll be happy.
    Video : B+
    Audio : A+
    Extras : I didn't check these out.
    Mike

2. Chauncey

Chauncey Stunt Coordinator

How does the Malata handle the subtitles on the nonanamorphic transfer? I have the Rock processor and I can't zoom in as much as I want to because the subtitles get cut off.

Thanks,

3. Mike H

Mike H Stunt Coordinator

I was able to zoom in without cutting any subtitles off. The Malata seems to keep the subtitles with in the zoom window. I haven't tested how far it goes, but it seems to work fine so far.
    Mike

4. Chauncey

Mike,
    Have you tested the subtitle issue any more with the Malata. Do the subtitles move and partially cover the picture?
    I have recommended to TAW, at the TAW Forum, that a nice new feature for the Rock+ would be moving the subtitles up when zooming in on a non-anamorphic DVD.
    I figured that if the Malata could do it, then Mark over at TAW could program this feature so the Rock+ could do it as well.
    Thanks,

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I have not seen the Region 3 dosc, but I would recommend the Region 2 (Japan-NTSC) release. It is anamorphic, un-cut and has dts track. Bandai Home Video BCBJ-0722 List price, however, is 5000 yen. (134 yen/$ is current rate)

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I agree with Roger, its the best version thus far.

7. Chauncey

Roger & Mark,

Thanks for the input. I do have the Japanese region 2 version as well. And you are right, the transfer is awesome, and it is much better than the region 3 release.

I do have some other non-anamorphic titles I wish I could zoom in on and still see the subtitles. A couple that come to mind:

Taxi

High & Low Criterion Edition

Thanks,