What's new

Brother Japan DVD Review (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
I recall around June or July, reading Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, and The USA Today, trying to find a good review for a movie I might like. My friend wanted to see Rush Hour 2, but I expressed my feeling to go see a "good movie". Browsing through the usual reviews I saw a picture of Omar Epps and two unknown guys. The movie was called "Brother" and the reviewers were beating the movie to a bloody pulp in the review(especially Ebert). I suddenly recognized the weathered,weirdly handsome, face that looked like it was finished with sand paper.
This suddenly brought back flashbacks of a previous movie I hated to death, "Sonatine"(WHICH I LOVE TO DEATH NOW...) Feeling that death, and sharp pieces of wood being forced up a persons nose would be an initiative to my friend to go. Fast forward to a Monday, I decided to skip classes with him and go see the movie. As we arrived at the theater (Evanston CineArts), we were treated with a warning at the front desk, as the nice women said "hmmm, seeing that movie Brother? Don't it's pure crap" I just nodded, she then said "It's a waste of money...enjoy your movie and your experience"
After a bit we got into the theater(had to get an eye-opener at the bar first :) ) We realized we were the only ones in the theater besides a an middle aged Japanese couple. As we heard a rumble from the theater next to us playing "Planet Of The Apes"(yuck) Both of us laughed when the Japanese man said "This theater is full..eh?" We stopped when the THX logo appeared on the screen(the Tex one)2 trailers and some advertisements later, we see the Sony Pictures Classics Logo. Suddenly the room is filled with jazz music as the credits roll, so far so good.....
Movie Rating:A+
Picture Quality:A
Audio Quality:DD:A/DTS:A+
Extras:D-
The movie is my pick for the best of the year. The technical aspects, the script, the visuals, the action all fit together so well, it sends chills down my spine. Omar Epps And Takeshi Kitano are fantastic. Even though Mr. Kitano's films may be hard to understand for normal people or unfamiliar with unmainstream and actual good movies, they have a distinct "flavor" to them and are very ominous. This movie would get an A but even though the movie is presented here in it's full glory without those stupid editing trims made by the MPAA,but the mess up in the subtitles later on pissed me off and keeps it from gaining an "A+" rating.No, it deserves more credit then that. It gets an A+
The picture quality for a new movie like "Brother" is of course great. The anamorphic picture I got on my 16:9 was delicious
yum.gif
(
laugh.gif
) and the later desert scenes creeped me out, since they were so sharp and detailed.
The DD audio was good but the DTS was better. With my pair of 20-39 SVS CS's in my dorm, they damn near shook the building and unfortunately broke
three of my shot glasses. Lots of use of the surrounds, clear dialogue, bad ass bass, and cool beginning demo for dts (double trouble, you get 2 demos for dts) Love it.
Bandai can !@@#$$%%$$%%$$$ for not putting English subtitles on the documentary..$%%#@!@##@@#. So I'm stuck with just a trailer, an extremely good movie, and a reference dvd. Sigh... more extras Bandai @$#$#%%^$$
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of Five
patriot.gif

Edit: Sony will release the edited version in January,with 2 minutes cut and digitally altered scenes. Also, it will only have the trailer, that gives away the key scenes and the ending. And maybe a small two page booklet with about 3 sentences of information on the movie.
So, no documentary(s), or commentaries, DVD-ROM features, or other wanted features. Just a booklet and a great movie in a Amaray case.
sigh....:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
God, I hate Sony

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
whoohoo, my copy just arrived from Japan!
[Edited last by Mark_Wilson on October 20, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Now, if Sony would just get the balls to release the damn thing in America, with lots and lots of extras!
I, wish and wish and wish for a commentary track.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you buy the very expensive Japanese Edition when the R3 DVD is just as good and REALLY cheap? Just wondering...
Mathias

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The R3 is not just as good, its just very cheap. The Japanese version is Anamorphic and has a DTS 5.1 track.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
It's either the Brazil edition, China edition with only the theatrical trailer, the Region 2 edition(just relesed, too late to get it) and the Japanese edition. I like my choice, and the dvd I got was cheap too.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I had purchased Brother a couple of months ago upon release in Japan but just got around to watching it yesterday after reading this thread. I also found the film very good and among the best I have watched this year among new films. For anyone who likes well made action films, this is highly recommended. But, be warned, the violence is very graphic.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Hey. I'm kinda low :frowning: right now, especially since I release Sony might make a additional cuts to the movie.
So I updated my post with a commentary about the SOny release coming in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks