Brother in Law needs help w/new display decision

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin G., Jan 31, 2005.

1. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

OK so my brother in law's projection tv is takin' a dump...
    He's in the market for new, and is asking my opinion.
    Talk to me about replacing his projection unit, or upgrading to an LCD??
    He does realize that the LCD is a bit more $$$...
    We talked last night about some ads in the paper and they were giving bit measurents (instead of 720p/1080i it was like a computer monitor, 1024x768 or whatever..which would make sense 'cause essentially it is.), how does this translate to what I know of as resolution?? I recently purchased a Philips HD ready monitor
    It looks now as if more of these display companies are investing in LCD technology instead of plasma.
    Is this the case??
    Dollar-wise, he's lookin' at approx. 1500.00 RPTV replacement, and the LCD was about a grand more...
    Definitely HD ready.
    I noticed a lot of you talking about Panasonic, as far as quality and longevity now...He also is looking at the Sony Grand WEGA. (although I'm not partial to Sony.)
    Any help would be appreciated...

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Easy decision, front projector all the way.
    Hard part is deciding on which one.
    What is the room like? If the light can be controlled then a fp is a must have.

3. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

i spent the extra grand to get a lcd and i am very happy i did, no worries about burning in , i can play xbox all night without worrying, i bought my 50 inch lcd for 2400 or so, i have seen them at best buy for a little less now, panasonic ,

if i buy a new one though,which i might this year i will buy a lcos, seems to be some decent deals on them now, but i am waiting for a 1080p one that is a decent price

a 1024x768 is pretty much 720p, i believe, if he can afford it i would go for the digital display, but thats just my opinion

4. John S

John S Producer

To get a sense of resolution from a monitor to a HDTV type display, I just use the bottom number, just as Jeremy has indicated.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Thanks guys,
    He (and I), will appreciate everything...
    The room is rather large/cathedral cielings, approx 18x20
    the rear opens up into the kitchen/dining area fireplace on left, stairway on right.
    John,
    Any thoughts on FP versus LCD?? I know you are a fan of your Philips FP, Sway us one way or the other...[​IMG]