What's new

Brother Bear BAD VIDEO Compression? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

There is this saying "three strikes and you're out"... how about four?

Just face it, if you can't see it, you can't see it. Count it as a blessing. :emoji_thumbsup:

It seems that the MINORITY can't see the colour banding due to less sensitive eys, and you're blessed to be one of them.

Regardless of the encoding spec, if the source is bad (just like Brother Bear), then the output will still be bad.

I just can't fathom that anybody can not see the blatant, poking-your-eye, gut-wrenching colour banding.

TedD

Supporting Actor
OK, after being beten up pretty badly here, I went back into my HT and played the widescreen version of Bro Bear.

And guess what, NO banding to be seen. Anywhere.

Then I took it to my PC and did a couple of screen shots, and I do see banding in the screen shots only in shades of brown (Bear brown).

So I am forced to conclude one of two things:

The banding is present in the I frames only.

or ....

My HTPC with VMR9 scaling the DVD image to 720x1440 interpolates and removes any visible banding.

Either way, their is no visible banding in my HT on this title.

I apologize for being cantankerous and judgemental in my original post, but it does appear to me that banding is not an issue when viewing this DVD, at least, in my environment.

Now, is it soft: Yes, definitely one of the softest I have seen.

Does it have mosquito noise and other serious compression artifacts: Not that I see in actual viewing.

Could it have been better: No question!!!

Ted

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

PowerDVD can advance through all of the frames (but when you back up, it backs up to the previous i-frame).

As far as any setup that 'smooths' out artifacts; I don't want it. Anything that smooths out artifacts can smooth out detail.

TedD

Supporting Actor

Nope, in this discussion we are talking two different data streams. Color banding = chroma, Detail = Luma.

Believe me, there is absolutely no lack of detail in my system.

Viewing a DVD and seeing fine detail like individual hairs and pores on the skin is not an uncommon event, when the DVD carries that level of detail.

Ted

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow, the banding is distractingly bad and obvious to me during the viewo on every thing I've seen this title on including my computer, but I can't brag about the great system I have.

Ted, have you read the review here on HTF and looked at the links? The banding is awful on this title. I think the bears are just a color that's unfriendly to the DVD spec. You're one of the few that doesn't see it, consider yourself lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks