What's new

Brother Bear, any one else notice this? (1 Viewer)

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed a problem with the Brother Bear DVD. Here is a screen cap. This is from my pc, I have noticed it on both my HD RPTV and pc on both disks. I have marked in red the "banding" or whatever it is.

I went to the support site and sent my info to Disney. It seems they are in to big a rush to get these out. Rember Nemo the glowing fish.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Phil Hamm and I noticed this when we watched it a couple weeks ago. It's REALLY bad. But the movie is very good, and Phil Collins' score is exceptional.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have heard back from Disney. I spoke to a tech. He said they had not heard of this problem before. I was the only one to contact them about this. He said they are going to try and recreate this with their hdtv. If you have seen this same issue, please go to www.disneydvd.com/support and let them know. He was nice and seemed to want to find out what is going on and fix it. So let them know if you are seeing this also. The more of us their are the more serious they will take it.

Just for fun:

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link. I DID do a search, but came up with nothing. Still, Disney says no one other than me has contacted them about this. So if you have had this issue, contact them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
put me on the list of not noticing till someone told me.

but if you go right to the 4 min 3 sec mark and watch the next 4 secs in slow mo you can see the brown top part of the older brothers outfit change several dif shades of brown but it looks like it is waves of color not a gradual naturaL change.

almost as if his top was a glass of brown water and it had a hole in the bottom and you can watch the brown color level go down from the top. .

thats what i posted in the review thread.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Harold:

I agree, we need to contact Disney about the banding problem. Even if they don't choose to repress the DVD, ast least they may put more effort into future releases (sigh).

Quick FYI, there is a quick search feature at the bottom of each forum area, that creates a quick search of all current threads. When I typed in brother bear the origial thread about this problem popped up.

Ron

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I may have failed to search "this" foum. I looked for information on this all over the net before posting and may have did my search wrong here. Anyway, they are "supposed" to get back with me. We will see. He did tell me that the Glowing fish in Finding Nemo, was on purpose. That it was an effect they used. Go figure. There is no excuse for this banding on Brother Bear. I have seen home videos burned on to vcd's that looked better. The old Hobbitt cartoon looks better on dvd than this.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Makes me wonder why I should even write reviews:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=189326

Ok, personal hurt feelings aside :) We've had quite a bit of discussion about this "banding" on Brother bear on this DVD. It's mentioned in my review thread by myself and several others and someone even started *another* thread about it about two weeks back. In any case, I think it's a good thing you're bringing it up now and I think that folks contacting Disney the way you're suggesting is the right idea.

Oh, you may want to edit your post as your link is in error. You say "disnetdvd" in your URL which should read "disneydvd" for the link to work.

When you post your DVD problem they ask for all sorts of numbers off the printed DVD disc so be sure you have it handy.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up on the url error. I missed the review, until recent. I dont get to check the forums as much as I would like. Yes they want alot of info from the dvd and they will also want the make and model of dvd player and tv. I just could not believe that I was the only one that had contacted them. We realy need to make an issue of this or they will just keep puting out dvds of poor quality. Lets hope with all of us contacting them with this issue, that they will replace the dvds for good ones.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I too emailed Disney's tech support. They said they're investigating this matter and will get back to me soon. I encourage those of you that aren't happy with the banding to do the same. :)

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Wonderful. We need everyone who has this dvd (and had noticed this issue) to let Disney know that they are not pleased with it.
www.disneydvd.com/support
You will need to have your TV and DVD Player make and model and the dvd handy for information they need.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Harold,
I checked the fishing scene last night and sure enough Nemo is there for 3 frames. Watching it at regular speed he cannot be seen but he's there plain as day if you go frame by frame:D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The banding issues on Finding Nemo and Brother Bear seem to be a symptom of far too much compression. Wasn't it found that they only used 2.8 Gigabytes for the whole movie on Brother Bear and very low bitrates for Finding Nemo too? That's pretty darn stupid for today's top releases!

Disney's problem is the over cramming of their discs. I've seen this in other animated films they've released such as The Emperor's New Groove and Beauty and the Beast. They too suffered from banding and other artifacts, and the compression was severe.

It has nothing to do with including a DTS track and everything to do with sticking the movie and way too many extras on the same disc.

Dan

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
I mayself don't recall any banding on Nemo. I do recall the "glowing" which they told me was an effect that they used and that it was on purpose. I agree they have to low a bit rate (to much compression). Has someone said DTS had something to do with it? They would be better off putting the extras on a second disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks