What's new

BROTHER: avoid the region 1 (1 Viewer)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
brotherz3.jpg

http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php3?3237
first, it will not be DTS. second ( or first ? ) it will be cut by 10min (gorriest scenes). and last, for those lovers of dolby surround, the region 2 dolby surround is at..... 448kbps!!! ( higher than THE MATRIX 5.1 ! take that Warner!)
LOL!
kick ass movie. needs a kick ass dvd.
I'm pro region 1 dvds ( 98% of my titles) but sometimes...

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
the region 2 dvd from Japan, indeed, is ntsc. you just need a region free player.
I'll get that one with CUTTHROAT ISLAND in dts too.
www.cdjapan.co.jp for instance carries those.
never ordered from them though

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
CD Japan is very reliable. People have been ordering DVD's, LD's and CD's from the anime side for years and years now.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

MilesH

Stunt Coordinator
The original poster is referring to the recently released Region 3 DVD of BROTHER. It has DTS sound that isn't availabe on the Japanese import. It is also a lot cheaper than the Japanese import. Both DVDs have english subtitles. Check out www.asiandvdguide.com for information on both releases.
[Edited last by MilesH on August 20, 2001 at 05:43 PM]
[Edited last by MilesH on August 20, 2001 at 05:43 PM]

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Purchased the Japan Region 2 DVD today. Can confirm that it does have English subtitle support. Soundtrack is dts or DD5.1, both in Japanese. Run time is listed on the package as 144 minutes. It is 16x9 enhanced but, upon first inspection, transfer is acceptable but not top tier.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Roger
the American actors are also dubbed in Japanese then ?
as for the transfer, dvdrama gave it an almost 10/10 mark, they were very impressed.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Sony actually used CGI to remove blood splatter and stains from scenes to get an R rating, so this film wasn't just cut. It was cut and "cleaned." My fear is that they used the same BS to secure an R for "SHIRI."
Region free DVD players are the cat's meow!
biggrin.gif

Anyone know if the "Universe" Hong Kong DVD is anamorphic? That would be a first.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 21, 2001 at 08:29 AM]

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes, you'd think I'd chime in on this since I've been freakin' ranting about this gem of a movie for months...
Okay, which one has the features, with all the supplements, and what the hell is the site posted by David saying? Arrgghhh... I'm trying to decode it with no luck. I have an edition(No Region) that is 16:9 and has DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1, but there really is only a trailer, since the featurette is in Japanese, and I dont understand it.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
For Malata owners, bear this in mind...
I picked up the UK R2 disc, as its 16:9 enhanced and has a documentary. However, unlike any R2 disc I've bought to date, watching the feature using the STILL filter results in "combing" artifacts. To be rid of these, you have to switch to SMART filter, which will solve this problem, but then you will have shimmering.
While I've had to make this choice with extras before, this is the first time that I've bought a R2 disc where the feature has presented this problem.
If 16:9 and the documentary are not important to you, and you use a Malata, perhaps the R3 might be a better choice.
Bleddyn

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
kick ass movie. needs a kick ass dvd.
Thanks for the tip. I don't keep up too much with Japanese style action although I really enjoy it every now and then. I really love the older Woo films. After a recommendation on HTF I bought Drive and loved it.
So I'll rely on my fellow HTFers once again and order "Brother" R2 UK.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Purchased the Japan Region 2 DVD today. Can confirm that it does have English subtitle support. Soundtrack is dts or DD5.1, both in Japanese. Run time is listed on the package as 144 minutes.
Was that run time correct? I just got the R3 version from Universe Laser and the printed run time is 113min. I haven't watched it yet to verify. Which is the correct run time? I was under the impression that the R2 Japanese and the R3 HK DVDs were both the same.

Thanks

-Ian

Ali B

Second Unit
While I'm not a big fan of Brother (Kitano has done better, but that's a topc for another thread) the documentary on the R2 UK disc really is worth the £20 price on its own, especially as it deals with Kitano's whole career.

ali

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Fear not, fret not, David
I have already heeded you...by picking up the regionless edition overseas.
It has, to me, a splendid widescreen transfer, great Dolby Digital...and greater DTS!!!!!! :D
And I also dig the way the menu comes out hard as it does with the gunshots.
In spite of the Japanese writing, I was able to serendipitously figure out how to get the subtitles working in English for those sections with non-English speaking. It works the same way on the DTS track as well.
Yes, I must also check out the featurette if there is on there on the disc. I also liked the trailer as it was presented.
This was the first time I had ever had a DVD made and manufactured in another country imported to me, and I must say, it was an interesting experience. May there be more for me to come in the future. I shall always remember the experience of picking up this one as I did. :star: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks