What's new

Directors Brook's Disney/Miramax Collection Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Toy Story advances 5-3 my vote was for Spirited Away

Jackie Brown advances 3-1 including my vote

Will we have a Toy Story vs. Tarantino Final Four??

Toy Story 2
vs.
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

Pulp Fiction
vs.
Three Colours: Red

Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved. - Pulp Fiction

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Toy Story 2 advances 5-2 including my vote

Pulp Fiction advances 4-3 with my tiebreaking vote (I'm not as enthusiastic about either film as I used to be, but I'll give PF the slight nod.)

FINAL FOUR

Toy Story
vs.
Toy Story 2

Pulp Fiction
vs.
Jackie Brown

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Toy Story

Abstain

Needless to say, this first bracket would be a much better final than the one we're going to get IMO. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to keep this open until late tonight or Monday.

Bill, I eagerly await your Princess Diaries 2 review. How soon until you see Little Black Book and Benji?

On a slightly more serious note, how is Knives of the Avenger?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
:D
A strictly by-the-numbers wish-fulfillment flick for little girls...but I knew that going in (and it was the only other flick at the multiplex that I hadn't already seen).
The most fascinating thing about a Garry Marshall movie is counting how many family members he has in the cast & crew, I lost count around 20 (and that's not including several Reiner in-laws)
As you can tell, I was riveted to the screen!!!

For some unknown reason, Stan Lee and a very gaunt-looking Paul Williams are in the cast...that perked me up a bit. :)

Sorry to say, but I've completely missed my window of opportunity to see Little Black Book and the new Benji film just never opened here.

Knives of the Avenger was a pretty dismal late period film from Bava.
Not recommended!

...and just so you know that I'm not watching 100% crap.

Highly Recommended = Cremaster 3
I saw a super rare screening of this 3-hour art film two weeks ago and just can't get it out of my head.
An absolute stunner of a film (for me anyway), can't wait for an opportunity to see the other 4 films in the cycle.

And I'll be in full-time attendance at the TIFF in 3 weeks time. :)

Are you happy now, Brook?? ;)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Toy Story 2 advances 5-3 including my vote. When I first saw 2 I thought it was very good but didn't surpass the original. When they came out on DVD and I watched them I still found the original superior. But I watched them again a month or two ago and have finally come around to preferring the 2nd film

Pulp Fiction advances 4-3, my vote was for Jackie Brown, better soundtrack, better performances, more depth to the characters, and unlike Pulp, NO DEAD SPOTS

FINALS

Toy Story 2
vs.
Pulp Fiction

Thanks Bill. Wish I could be at TIFF with you. One of these years....

Cremaster Cycle played here months ago but I wasn't able to go. I think it happened to play one of the weeks I had a business trip. I did get one of those mini-lobby cards for C3 that I have up next to my computer cause the art work is very cool. I picked up a card for The Five Obstructions tonight, it opens here in 3 weeks. Father and Son opens next weekend and an interesting looking Thai war movie called Bang Rajan the week after that.

If you get a chance to see Intimate Strangers, take it. Another winner from Patrice Leconte. I need to find more Fabrice Luchini movies. I forgot how much I enjoyed him.

Too bad on the Bava. But for as good as he could be, he made some absolute stinkers too. I'm going to rent something by him I haven't seen in October, probably Lisa and the Devil.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks