Broken Xbox! What dvd head cleaner to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DwightK, Feb 2, 2003.

1. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Had to use the xbox chat support thingy as my xboxen dies after about 10 minutes of play. No matter the game. The chat dude said that a dvd head cleaner is the solution. Any suggestions to a good one? Never even heard of that item before and I with 4 dvd players in the house.

Ya know, If it was my gaming PC, Gamecube, or PS2, I wouldn't fret much but I GOTS to have my xbox.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

ummm, if it's dying after 10min of play that says to me you have something failing as it heats up inside the machine

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I have to agree, Jeff. But I figure I will follow the advice of the tech dude. They are so nice as to send a transcript of the chat in email. Nice for the evidence file before I open up the boxen and or ship it off to elsewhere for repairs.

Guess I have to start the ol' receipt search. Personally I think a fan inside has failed.

4. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

There are two Fans In there; The 1 over the GPU and heatsink is the one the xbox has been having problems with dying.Which leads to over heating and shutting down the xbox.
    Microsoft has since increased the size of the heatsink and replaced the fan. How old is your xbox and is it under warranty. If its out of warranty sometimes Microsoft will fix it for free and sometimes they will charge you $100.00.
    Depending on what mood there in that day.
    Or you could sign up for their warranty for $49.99 for two years. And have them fix it. Or you can open it up yourself and put a new fan in there ,which will void any warranty you have.
    Or exchange the system at the store if you can. The choice is yours. 1-800-4my-xbox