Broken volume control Yamaha RX-V2095

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Philip>L, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

Dec 31, 2003

Three years ago the remote control stopped being able to control the volume. When you press up or down volume, the receiver reports the corresponding action, but the volume control knob doesn't move at all.
    I can still manually adjust the volume with the knob, but not through the remote.

Anyway, this happened about a week before a cross country move, and when I finally got the receiver set up again month later, the volume worked fine.

Fast forward to today:

The volume knob once again doesn't move when the remote sends a command. I tried using another universal remote that's programmed to control the receiver and the result is the same.

My guess is that there's a motor servo that moves the knob internally when the receiver gets a signal from the remote that's somehow gone bad. I don't know why this would be an intermittant condition, and I'm crossing my fingers that the condition simply clears up again, but realistically I don't see why it should.

Does anyone have any experience with working on a unit like this, or should I bring it into the local Yamaha servicer?
  2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

May 8, 2001
    A loose cable perhaps or dirty contacts?

- Mike