What's new

Broken TV (1 Viewer)

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
My 8 year old JVC 27" TV decided to stop working properly. The picture is reduced to a tiny horizontal strip in the middle of the TV. Any idea what is wrong, and how much it would cost to fix? We plan on upgrading to a RPTV when we move into our home in July, so an immediate upgrade is not possible.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
That sounds like your tube is dead. I'm not sure what it would cost to fix but I have heard that it is usually as much as a new set. Sorry. Maybe someone else has a different diagnosis.

You could pick up a new 27" to get by for a few hundred buck these days. Then when you get your new RPTV, send the 27" off to bedroom duty.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
I am beginning to believe there is a wire loose. If I bang the TV hard enough on the side, the picture comes back.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the picture shrinks down to a thin line, it is not the tube's fault but it soon will be. The phosphors will be burned in short order.
The vertical deflection circuits have failed. The better RPTV's have safety circuits that turn off the electron beams if this should happen. If you see this happen, turn down the contrast to well below ten percent instantly.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kevin P

Screenwriter
On a direct view the phosphors shouldn't burn as quickly, but I wouldn't leave the set on for any length of time with the entire picture collapsed into a horizontal line, since it will eventually burn the phosphors. Anyway, like prior posters said, it's the vertical deflection circuit, or the vertical deflection portion of the yoke that's failing. It could be a loose wire, a cold solder joint, or a failing component.
Take it in and have it checked. It could be a cheap fix, but if it's expensive (e.g. board replacement) then you'd be better off getting a new TV. If the repair shop says you need a new CRT, you need a new repair shop. :)
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks