broken subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Chu, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

I have a paradigm PDR10 subwoofer and is not working properly. When I was moving the extension cord it was connected to, I heard a crack from the sub. Could I have short circuit the woofer? I performed the test tones from my Denon 3300 avr receiver and have to push it 10 db in order to hear it but it wasn't loud enough as before.

If I did break it, where can I bring it for repair?

Thanks.

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Kevin:

You heard a crack from the sub's speaker as you were physically moving the sub or was it an electrical snap?

Was the sub on and the the input connected?

As far as repair places; Where are you located?

3. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

John, yes the crack I heard was from moving the electrical cord connected to an extension not moving the sub itself. I don't believe the sub was on but the input to my receiver was connected. I am located in New York City. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. John F. Palacio

"I don't believe the sub was on but the input to my receiver was connected. I am located in New York City. What do you think?"

Somehow it sounds like the sub was either on or on standby and the movement from cable connected to the receiver turned it on, then an intermittent conection caused the crack.

In any event, you mention it still plays but you have to push it harder with your receiver. Does it sound OK or is it distorted or in any way different sounding than before?

5. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

The sub sounds definitely different than before. When playing action movies it seems to have lost the impact of explosions, gunshots etc..

I could hear something from the sub but just not as loud as before. Could I have blown part of the amplifier in the sub?

Thanks again.

6. John F. Palacio

"I could hear something from the sub but just not as loud as before. Could I have blown part of the amplifier in the sub?"

It appears the sound is OK, just lower in level. Have you tried a new interconnect to the sub?

Normally when an amp goes, it will sound distorted.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    From above, it does not sound like the sub is "broken" Are you using a sub cable with a "Y" connector and has one of the legs of the "Y" fallen off? I know it sounds trivial and you may have checked that already. Exactly how are you hooking up your sub to your amp? Did you calibrate your sub before and can you do it again now? What is the sub level at your amp and did that change?

8. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

I replaced the y connector with single ended one and still sounds the same. The connection I'm using is the LFE from the sub with the other end to my denon 3300 receiver. I believe it's one of the preouts label subwoofer. The only calibration I did was with the test tones on my receiver. I find that now I have to push it way up to 12db before I'm able to hear it. I forgot what I had it before. Is this the only way to calibrate the sub?

Thanks.

9. John F. Palacio

"Is this the only way to calibrate the sub?"
    I am not familiar with your setup. The real question is:
    What has changed? 12dB difference is a LOT!

What is not clear is how can the sub decrease in gain so much without other audible degradation.

Have you tried running a bass heavy CD or DVD on the loud
    side to see if you hear any rattling or distortion.

What I am getting at is; Before sending the sub in for repair it is advisable to make sure it is indeed the sub and not something else.

10. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

Can you explain what you mean when you say "distortion"? I have tried both CD and DVD and although I can hear the sub, it just sounds as though my sub volume switch is turn way down when in fact it's turn to the max setting.

Thanks.

11. John F. Palacio

Kevin says: "Can you explain what you mean when you say "distortion"?"

Something that does not sound "right". Besides the level being lower; Does it sound different than before?

In other words does the sound have a different quality to it?

When you bring the receiver levels 12 dB higher than you had before to get the level right; Does the sub now sound as before?

12. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

Kevin-
    if you do find out that it is the actual sub and not the amp, I have an extra around here I could send you for cheap.
    (I replaced the sub and amp in my old PDR-10 with an Infinity Perfect 12.1 and a PE 250 watt amp. It's pretty damn loud now...)
    It still doesn't compare to my PW-2200 though... [​IMG]

13. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

"Something that does not sound "right". Besides the level being lower; Does it sound different than before?"

NO...

"In other words does the sound have a different quality to it?"

No, I don't notice any difference...

"When you bring the receiver levels 12 dB higher than you had before to get the level right; Does the sub now sound as before? "

Not quite...I hear that the sub works but not as powerful as before..maybe 70% there as before...

14. John F. Palacio

"Not quite...I hear that the sub works but not as powerful as before..maybe 70% there as before..."

In other words you cannot make calibration even with the gain in the sub all the way up and the receiver sub out all the way up?

15. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

Can you explain about the calibration process? How can I adjust the sub on the receiver end? The only calibration I know of for my Denon 3300 receiver is the test tones signals which produces levels of pink noises for each 5.1 speaker.

16. Kevin Chu

Kevin Chu Auditioning

It turns out that I blew my ampliflier. I sent it back to paradigm (they have a 3yr warranty, just made it) and will send the amp back to the dealer for repair.

But I still like to know how can an ampliflier malfunction?

17. John F. Palacio

Kevin Chu says: "But I still like to know how can an ampliflier malfunction?"

Any electronic device can fail because a component fails, or from stress caused by heat or by pushing it very hard (overdriving it) or power line surges and spikes.