What's new

Broken Lance, The Bravdos & New Fox Titles (1 Viewer)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I can't remember where I bought mine - may have been from xploited cinema, not sure. I didn't get it from Spain, though.

Have now watched Warlock. The transfer is not quite as good as The Bravados and Broken Lance, but, aside from a lack of sharpness in the mid and long shots, the color is good and the print is immaculate. As I said, the "stereo" doesn't really sound like stereo to me, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just not wide-sounding. Coming off the 4.0 tracks it sounds like mono. And, given that the default sound selection IS mono, I just don't think the stereo is real. Interesting film - had no idea Frank Gorshin, who I believe is unbilled, has a rather prominent role. In the Bravados, Joe de Rita, just prior to joining the Three Stooges, also has a small but important role, which I also believe is uncredited. How on earth did they get away with not crediting actors like that?

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Farewell has a trailer and a Fox newsreel. In fact, out of all these the only one that has nothing is Buffalo Bill, which I just finished watching. Strange but entertaining movie with the always excellent Joel McCrea. The transfer is a bit on the grainy side, but it's fairly sharp and the early Technicolor is rendered quite nicely.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for the information Arthur,
You were right about "Garden of Evil" being available from that strangely interesting?? site, xploited Cinema.

They had it in stock and it is already on it's way to me and the good news is it will cost about half of what I would have spent to get it direct from Spain.

Finally "Garden of Evil" in 16:9 and Stereo. :)

Wonder what their BRONSTON Box Set of El Cid, Roman Empire and 55 Days is like? All say 16:9, but no sound info.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I'll have to check out that Bronston set. I have two different versions of each film - one from France, the other from Japan. None of them are great, although they're all enhanced. The French DVDs are all 2.0 stereo. The Japanese, I think, are 5.1 but just don't sound that great, and the image quality is worse on the Japanese discs. We really do need proper presentations of these wonderful films.

I think you'll be VERY pleased with the stereo on Garden of Evil. xploited cinema is a great source for other region DVDs. I have gotten tons of stuff from them and they always ship quickly and are very reliable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are we sure "Warlock" was filmed in stereo sound? I watched the dvd tonight and it's definitely in mono. The stereo track on the dvd appears to be just mono sound spread across three channels. Otherwise, the video transfer is very good, especially compared to what I've seen in past presentations. Those that have this on video should be happy with the video presentation.

Next up is "House of Strangers", excuse me, I mean "Broken Lance".

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have Warlock from the fox movie channel in very wide stereo sound.
I have the original pressbook for the film which proclaims Cinemascope adn stereoephonic sound in all of the adds.
One person high in in fox Films (not the video company ) says the the video transfer division is not doing their homework enough and releasing stuff in two channel and mono when the original ofur tracks are very much in existence.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad the stereo sound is apparent for Broken Lance. However, just because the Warlock dvd ended up in mono does NOT mean that the original film is mono.
As I said, I have a letterbox true stereo dvd-r from Fox Movie Channel and I once had a stereo vhs from fox Vid.
As mentioned, one person in Fox films says that the video division is not doing their homework for transfers for Fox movies and dVD.
ONe example - Fox Vid provides the masters for foreign dvds - they provided a mono master for Garden of evil in the U.K. but a four channel stereo master for the same film when released the same month in Spain.
Why?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Unfortunately, I don't think "Warlock" is going to get multi-released dvds with the correct audio, if indeed it's in stereo.

Anyhow, "The Bravados" has the same audio as "Broken Lance" which is good news.

I don't know what type of elements were used nor what was done with them for "Buffalo Bill" but, I'm very disappointed in the video presentation of that dvd.

Crawdaddy

TedD

Supporting Actor
I projected Warlock many, many years ago and it was a magoptical print. So, it was definitely released in 4 track stereo.

Since the DVD is mono, I will be taking a pass on this one.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks