What's new

Broken Lance, The Bravdos & New Fox Titles (1 Viewer)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I was lucky enough to pick up a bunch of the new and upcoming Fox titles. I've given a look-see to each and every one of them.

Broken Lance and The Bravados look and sound incredible. Beautifully robust 4.0 sound and a very sharp and colorful scope image - enhanced, of course.

Warlock looks fine, and has both mono and stereo tracks - I listened to the stereo which doesn't sound much like stereo to me. Don't know if the film originally was or not.

The Detective and Tony Rome: Funnily, the color on The Detective is a hair pale for my taste (the skin tones don't look like they should) - Tony Rome looks swell. Both have mono and stereo tracks, but again I believe both films were released in mono and the stereo doesn't sound real to my ears.

Anna and the King of Siam - really nice transfer - mono and stereo tracks, but same story here - stereo doesn't sound real.

A Farewell to Arms - While this transfer has terrific color, it's a bit on the soft side, especially compared to the DVDs listed above. The 3.0 sound is fantastic, and the Mario Nascimbene score sounds great.

Finally, Buffalo Bill - I was pretty impressed with the sharpness of the image, and the color looks really nice.

I'm looking forward to watching all these in their entirety over the next few days.

For those who care about such things, no real extras to speak of, save for Anna and the King, which has the Biography show on Anna Leonowens, and premiere footage. All budget priced of course.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, since the release date for these titles is May 24th, I say somebody might of received some screener dvds?

Crawdaddy

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
There are a few stores in NY that somehow have films weeks before the street date. I've had the "Doris Day" boxset and "Divorce Italian Style" for quite awhile.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
$5 off usually, a bit more pricy than if I had the patience to wait until it comes out officially and get a "Best Buy" kind of price.
It was nice to pay only $8 Canadian for the "Panic in the Year Zero" and "Last Man on Earth" dvd when I was in Toronto.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Yes, I have one place in particular that sometimes gets stuff a month in advance, and their prices are very reasonable. As you know, I was the first to post about the Day boxset, which I had three-and-a-half weeks prior to street date.

I've finished Broken Lance, and I must say it's an excellent little film, solidly directed by Edward Dmytryk. The transfer is really top-notch - great color, very very sharp (this is 1954 scope), and the sound is really good (nothing like early stereo). More after I finish The Bravados.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Sounds good about Broken Lance - It was on Laserdisc and didn't look very good there. It needed some restoration. Are there trailers on any of these titles (particularly the westerns) besides Anna and the King of Siam?
I have Warlock off of Fox Movie channel in letterbox and the sound is VERY wide stereo there.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
Does these disks contain English subtitles ? Because I can't display those damn CCs on my German tv.

Their counterparts in Britain were released without but I have high hopes for the US releases.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I think there's a trailer on one of the westerns - I'll have to check. I'll check on the subs as well. Warlock does not sound very "wide" to my ears.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Oh baby I can't wait to get my hands on Warlock! I'll be glad to get rid of my fuzzy VHS Fox Movie Channel copy. Warlock is a greatly underrated Western. My God, its three leads are Fonda, Quinn, and Widmark. How can it not be a powerful movie??

Still waiting for a few more Westerns like Firecreek, Hondo, The Searchers, and the Fonda, Jesse James movies (which I think are Fox films), etc. But regardless, I'd say that the Western portion of our DVD collections is filling in nicely.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Um, The Searchers is Warners and has been out since the advent of DVD. I hear there will be a new DVD sometime, but in the meantime you can at least own it for under ten bucks.

Broken Lance has a trailer, Fox newsreel, and English subs for the poster who asked. Also two foreign-language tracks - French and some other I don't remember.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If the transfer of Forty Guns is as good as the region 2 edition, then you guys are in for a real treat. Glorious anamorphic 'Scope transfer of a fine Western from the renegade auteur.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I've got the region 2 Forty Guns, which is excellent. I, too, will be curious to take a gander at the region 1.

Have now watched The Bravados. Other than a title that is completely meaningless to the film at hand (what IS a Bravado? Maybe I'm missing something), this is a moody, somber revenge western with a complex little twist. The transfer, as I said, is great - sharp, great color, and great 4.0 stereo. Really good cast - Peck, Stephen Boyd, Albert Salmi, Lee Van Cleef, Andrew Duggan, etc. A trailer and Fox newsreel are included, along with various subtitle and language options.

Now, on to Warlock.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Where's Garden of Evil?

I have the region 2 version and while the image looks terrific it is sadly only Mono, so I am waiting with baited breath and open wallet for the Region 1 Stereo version.

The PAL region 2 version of Broken Lance looks and sounds really great , so I'll skip the region 1 version of that one.

For those that can handle PAL, I highly recommend the excellent region 2 disc of the fabulous Delmer Daves' Western "BROKEN ARROW".

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I'm sure they'll get around to it. I think five great releases is pretty terrific for a start, don't you?

I bought the Spanish Garden of Evil - same transfer, great stereo sound.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I looked at ordering the Spanish version, but the freight charge to Australia from Spain was way over the top, so I declined and decided to wait for a region one edition.

In the meantime it is being transmitted on Digital Cable again here in a few weeks time, but while the print they run is reasonably sharp and has nice colors, it is unfortunately only 4:3 Letterbox.
But it does have a dynamic Stereo track.
So it looks as if the DVD Recorder might get a work out until the real thing surfaces on a Region 1 disc.

In the meantime I will have a nice looking 16:9 version with poor Mono sound and a great Stereo version with an average non Anamorphic picture and a watermark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks