What's new

Broken headphones, i really need some help (1 Viewer)

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
well im pisssed, not even a week and my mdr-v150s are already broken some guy on the bus bumped intome and crushed my backpack, i let him go with an "its all right" though. SO my story is i need new phones, on a relative cheap budget. I was happy with the sound of my mdr-v150s.

I tend to break them at the joints, so yeah reccomend away, id prefer under 70$ canadian though.

*&#%$ right before a 2 hour car ride too

and i guess i wont be getting an mp3 player anytime soon anymore.

thanks in advance

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the Sennheiser PX100's are around $79.99 CAD, or the Koss Portapros.

Or save up a bit, get a pair of new Grado SR60's for $125, or go to Head-fi.org, and scope out their Buy and SEll section, i saw a guy sell off his SR60's for $80 CAD once.

THe Sony MDR-V150's are a peice of crap IMHO... i have a pair myself, bought them before i knew any better.

MikeNg

Second Unit
You'll piss off the guy next to you if you get the Grado's - they're open air. Great entry level cans though.

I haven't heard the Senn's mentioned, but did just get a pair of HD0280 Pro's, mainly for monitor work. If it were me I'd want a pair of can's that can thump (I'm not so concerned about flat response when on the metro!).

Check headroom for some possibilities.

They've got some recommendations here. They mentioned the Sennheisers and Grado too.

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Sennheiser HD212. These are a bit hot in the bass region but they sound very very nice. Midrange and highs are transparent. Price is around US70.

David

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Mike is right. Which is why I have the Sennheiser PX200, a semi-closed design. I say that because in order for the PX200 to perform well, the seal between the earcups and your ears need to fit perfectly. Otherwise, sound will leak out and all the bass is lose.

Shawn_

Auditioning
I'd get some Sony MDR-V6's (US $75 shipped), which are arguable the most popular cans used by DJ's. My buddy has been using a set on a weekly basis for over 15 years, and while the foam is basically gone, they still sound great.

They're closed back, fold up, and have a very flat response. (Hence why all the jocks and studio's use them) and I myself have been using a set of the newer V6's equal, the 7506's, 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, for the last 10 months and I think they're great.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
I am need of a new set of headphones as well. I use them mainly for the gym and want ear-bud type headphones. I am looking at the Shure E2c. Anyone use those? They seem to get very good reviews and I can get them for around $60 (not too expensive). Thoughts? Also, the cord seems to be 62 inches long, which is substantially longer than my current headphone cable. Does anyone find such a length annoying/get in the way (esp when running)? What do most people do with so much extra slack?

thanks

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
I just wrap the cord against itself over and over until I get the length that I want. Then I secure the wrapped bundle with a wire tie. The bundle goes into my pocket so that it is not hanging loose.

David

MikeNg

Second Unit
I have the e3's and they sound good. They provide pretty good sound isolation. Flat response all the way down. This might not suit you if you're using it for workouts, etc. You might want 'extra' bass.

These are designed to wrap over the ear, and have the cords drape down your back. This is because they're used for stage monitoring. You don't want a performer to have cords hanging down the front.

Anyway, for what you pay you can't go wrong and it's definitely an upgrade to what comes with iPods, etc.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks