Broke my ankle today. Any tips for getting stuff done in my current state.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dustin B, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Left the house this morning just before 10am to go do some weight training. Rounded the corner of my house, slipped on some ice, have no idea how I managed to fall in such a way as to pin my ankle from moving where it wanted to but I did. 6 hours later I'm back from the hospital (gotta love Canada's health care system, especially in Saskatchewan).

Xray showed a small break on one of the back lobes of the larger bone where it connects to the ankle. Was stable and didn't need to be set, but I need to stay off it now for 6 weeks. Opted for the removeable immobilization boot.

Basically I'm looking for any tips on getting various things done from people who have had similar injuries. Things like getting food from the kitchen to the dining table (I'm thinking tupperware and backpack right now). Cooking and cleaning up meals.

Bathing. Know I'm taking a bit of a risk removing the brace to bath, but so much easier than worring about keeping a cast dry. I think I'll look into getting a chair for my shower, thankfully it's a tub.

Also dressing, right now I'll have to remove the brace to get my pants on and off. Did anyone just go buy a few pairs of pants with larger legs?

Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I feel for you and can relate on what you are going through. I fractured my heel last year and it was the worst experience (so far) in my life. I opted for the plaster cast and had to STAY OFF THE FOOT for six months. If only I knew that was only the beginning of it. For six months, showering and doing any simple task was a major hassle. Learning to use crutches was something I was not coordinated to do well. Sleeping was uncomfortable and hated dragging a 15 lbs weight everywhere I went. Finally, graduated to a "walking boot" and slowly started to re-learn how to walk again. Yeah, you'll think it'll all come back to you in a flash once you get out of your cast, but once you put pressure on your foot - holy hell, it hurts like a mofo! My foot was bruised and swollen for a good seven months. The doctor told me that my foot will never feel like it used to. It will feel stiff at times. Weather will cause aches and pains off and on. He was right. Even after a year - although I can walk fine ... I still have discomfort from time to time. Mornings are the worse. The more you work with your foot - the better it feels over a period of time. Don't rush into it! I tried to jog after eight months and it was too painful. Just walking up and down the stairs was a major workout for me.
    Give yourself a full year to recover. You can't rush healing.

Good luck!

- Colton

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Sorry to hear about that. I was on crutches for only 6 weeks once and it was awful.

IIRC, Harry Knowles started Ain't It Cool News when he broke his ankle and needed something to pass the time. Ya never know. . .

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'm only supposed to be out for 6 weeks as well. My break is much more minor than breaking a heal, which I'm thankful for.

My cars a standard, but hopefully my parents will make it into town next weekend to trade me cars, then I can start driving myself again.

Right now everything seems managable, just more time consuming, except for transporting food around the house.

Didn't sleep very well last night either, hopeful I'll be used to sleeping with the brace by the end of the week.

5. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

You'll get used to it eventually. I had to wear a neckbrace 24h/day after fusion. First few nights it was literally a pain in the neck, after that, it din't really bother me anymore. In fact, I slept the worse the first night without.

But keep to the regimen prescribed by the doctor. You want your foot back! So don't rush things; if you can, maybe consider temorarily moving in with your parents or a sibling. That can help no end, and the favor can be returned in a thousand ways.

6. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

You may complain about the 6 hour wait, but you didnt have to sell your house. There's always a silver lining.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Won't be long up here and you'll have to do a lot more than sell your house to get certain services. Oh, so want to go there, but can't or this thread will get closed. Let's leave it at we disaggree that Canada's health care system is the best in the world and stick to tips on getting stuff done on crutches.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Isn't being home for 6 weeks every home theater enthusiast's dream?

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, sorry about your ankle, Dustin.

9. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

A Tip for Crutches:

Keep a plastic grocery bag handy. Store simple food items into bag to transport from room to room. (soda cans, chips, sandwiches, etc.) - carry bag with mouth or over forearm.

This worked for me for six months.

Also, if you shower, use a garbage bag to cover your brace/cast, if needed. Simple, yet effective.

- Colton

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

When I had my various ankle injuries (usually severe sprains, I had one mis-diagnosed and actually had a fractured ankle) from sports I just put food in a mixing bowl and hopped on the good leg to the table (the bowl was deep enough to keep food from sloshing out).

Collapsable magnetic pick up tool or magnet on a string/fishing line, for those times you drop your keys and want to keep bending to a minimum (like when balancing yourself on the good leg on ice).

double stick tape to connect to the magnet to pick-up those items that aren't magnetic.

some sort of antifungal powder for when the part of the leg that itches that you can't scratch

smaller cooler by the computer or where you watch tv to keep drinks in til needed.

girlfriend or family member with a guilty conscience to do a few chores here and there. [​IMG]

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Wow, definately helps to know the right people. Went back for my week follow up to my emergency room visit. This time at a mediclinic. Doc there phones for the radiologists report on the first xray and it says my ankle isn't broken. He takes another xray and won't say one way or the other, wants to send this xray to a different radiologist.

So this afternoon decide to ask a friend/coworker, who's father is an orthopedic surgeon if his father could get a hold of the xrays and take a look for me. Friend phones his dad and less than 2 hrs later, I've signed out my xrays, taken them to his dad's office, had them and my ankle examined by an orthopedic surgeon and been given a definative your ankle isn't broken, just badly spranged response.

Yay. Feel a little guilty though, for getting to an orthopedic surgeon with a 2 year wait list for a spranged ankle, but not that guilty. Best health care system in the world [​IMG]

12. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Sometimes a badly sprained ankle can be worse than a broken one, at least thats what my doctor told me. I had my ankle roll out (after a 5 foot fall) instead of in. I was told if there was any more force on my ankle (I was holding my then 2 year old so I couldn't break my fall) the injury would have been Joen Theismanesque. Its been 5 years and my ankle still isn't right. Don't be ashamed for getting the best care possible. I hope your situation improves.