Broadway To Hollywood - Some Thoughts.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

improved. Judy is great - far better than anything else in the film, the film is very static.

2. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Joe, I'm assuming you're talking about Easter Parade, but your post got cut off.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on all these films, particularly their sound quality. I was disappointed in the sound for Easter Parade, but the sound of The Band Wagon is beautiful, and I'm thrilled with the sound for Finian's Rainbow and Bells are Ringing.

Brigadoon has a beautiful, lush soundscape, but I was disappointed that they didn't include a perfect recording of "Come To Me, Bend To Me", since it's there as an outtake. I guess they had to use the actual sound on the print of the outtake, but I bet a better copy of the audio to that song exists.

3. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

DeeF - I did a full review of the box and only my last two lines got printed.
    For some reason, a lot of the late 1940 mgm musicals (Barkleys of Broadway, the Pirtate, etc, ) sound inferior to films made before them. Was poor stock being used after the war years?
    Brigadoon is a big improvement and the sound is great. ON the laser set, the outake of Come to Me Bend to me was full steo - why it isn;'t on the dvd is a mystery.
    they still have incorrectly edited the outake of From this day on. It was recorded in two sections - the song first and the dance part was recorded separatley later. But it's joined together tooo tight on the outtake and the dancing is mimicking the music always a few seconds too late.
    Band Wagon is excellent as is Finians Rainbow which is tops. We ow have all three Tommy steele musicals on dvd (along with Happiest Millionaire and Half a Sixpence). I never thought I would see it happen.

4. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Happiest Millionaire is barely watchable (on that Disney DVD, yuck).

The other two are in fine shape.

Finian's Rainbow is a VERY GOOD MOVIE, maybe the best late 60s musical. I can't recommend it enough.

P.S. So, some more work might have been given to "Come To Me, Bend To Me," eh? I thought as much.

Oh well, the film itself sounds very good.

I agree about Easter Parade, which doesn't sound as good as Meet Me In St. Louis, to me (a movie 3 years older).

5. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

This set is magnificent, and each film has never looked or sounded so good. The extras are all impressive, and I'm sure I'll have more comments once I have actually watched everything.

One comment on the sound of ST. LOUIS vs. EASTER PARADE...

The answer can be found in the notes of their respective soundtrack albums. Multi-channel stems of the complete ST. LOUIS score were/are still in existence enabling MGM to create a stereo track for the LD in '94, and its accompanying soundtrack album, later issued by Rhino.

The EASTER PARADE soundtrack album notes that virtually all of the original pre-recordings for that film were no longer in existence, and the album had to be pieced together from various sources.

6. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Are there any problems with some sites stocking the set?
    As of this moment Amazon have not yet shipped my pre-order.[​IMG]

I'm somewhat jealous of those that already have it.

7. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

It seems that there may be some delays, because my copy only just shipped from DVDSoon today, when the release date was listed as yesterday. Usually DVDSoon get their pre-orders very early, sometimes up to 10 days in advance of the release date.

8. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

I'm assuming that DVDSOON will be shipping a version of the box set with the single disc EASTER PARADE - Another thread started by Barrie Maxwell seems to have concluded that the documentary on disc two is not for sale in Canada.

9. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Roger,

I suspect you're right about Easter Parade, thanks for the information. Easter Parade sounds perfectly fine, to me, but I was hoping for something richer, akin to Meet Me In St. Louis.

Joe,

You're the best! Not only do you know your movies and their respective soundtracks, but you can tell when the soundtrack is out of sync with the choreography on an outtake! My hat's off to you, sir!

[​IMG]

10. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Roger, with all respect, but the condition of pre records could have little bearing on a final mixed track for a film, which is a completely different animal. But most of thee late forties mgm musicals sound inferior to earlier mgm films in general.

11. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

I agree with what you say about pre-recordings, but it was those sources that were used to enhance the MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS track 11 years ago to make a lovely stereo track, that WB even bettered with the new DVD.

However, I also concur that there was a definite "dip" in audio quality at MGM in the late 40s. Was it that way when they were first made, or did the materials deteriorate more quickly? I don't know, but I tend to think the latter is true.

12. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Yes, the box cover is here:
    http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=137639

It looks like Easter Parade does not have the 2 Disc band up the top. I was initially dissapointed at not getting the 2 disc, but I really only purchased the box because of Brigadoon and The Band Wagon, the other 3 are bonuses. Plus it only cost me AUD$39. Buying any two of the films individually would've cost me more than that.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    my set from DVDSOON has shipped and I should get it either March 18 or 21. I well post to confirm what version of Easter Shipped.

I figure I can import the 2 disc set, and sell the single disc if need be. It stil works out cheaper than buying the 2 special editions and one other title seperately.

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I just got this from DVDSOON and it is indeed the single disc version of Easter Parade[​IMG]

Anyone know of a reliable US based E-retailer to order the 2 disc Easter Parade from, as well as the "Classic comedy Collection" From? (And probably the "Controversial Classics" collection, which doesn't seem to be coming to Canada either.

15. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Russell; dvdsoon.com now has the 'Controversial Classics' set listed, as has Amazon.ca

16. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if the "history is lost" on this part of the story of sound. MGM was a licensee of Western Electric and all the studio equipment including the optical recorders were supplied by WE. In those days, from the microphone to the mixer panels to the power distribution to drive the recorders and cameras all came from the sound supplier (either WE or RCA Photophone).

During the War, WE stopped making any sound recording equipment and suspending research work. I don't recall any changes in film stocks for sound recording in that period or that MGM using anything different.

At some point, WE changed from variable density to variable area (like the RCA track) by rotating the light valve in the recorder and changing the optics. One would have to examine the original optical recording to see exactly what was changing at that point.

To the old timer, density tracks had a slightly lower output but less distortion and went into overload "smoothly" whereas area tracks had a higher output but clipped on overload.

I don't know if any of this specfically applies to these observations, but that's what was going on at the time. There was a full page ad by WE in one of the projectionist manuals in the early forties that showed the various track formats including stereo and hinted at new developments after the war. Of course it was Disney that put stereo into the theatre with Fantasia and that was with RCA Photophone equipment.

John

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

damnit, I didn't realise there was a 2-discer for EP!

I just bought the box-set from a local Canadian retailer this morning and the only two-disc set in the package was The Band Wagon...

Can the two-disc Easter Parade be found as a stand-alone in Canada or has it not been distributed at all, and if not - why??

*frustrated*

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Marco:
    The 2 disc is a EP is a US only release due to a rights issue on the american masters Judy Garland documentary. I have no idea which US E-Tailer well ship this to Canada at a decent price.

John:

I saw the set on DVDSOON (Controversial Classics) and pre-ordered it imeadiatly! Thanks for the heads up! I just hope it's not compromised in any way, this is one of my must haves for this year, and one of the sets I'm most excited for!

19. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

Great collection. One small gripe is that The Band Wagon and Easter Parade when sold individually come with a neat cardboard slipcase over the keepcase. This is also true with Warner's Classic Comedies Collection with The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby. No biggie though; the boxset is significantly cheaper than purchasing the titles separately.

20. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Russell; have you noticed they've already reduced the pre-order price by a few bucks? Good old dvdsoon, got to keep on your toes [​IMG]