What's new

Broadway Shows - Why not archive on DVD? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A London revival of Sondhein's Company was recorded and broadcast on TV in England . It is not available on DVD but it can be seen at the Museum of Radio and TV in New York and LA.

I don't believe any of the Sondheim shows available on DVD were filmed with a live audience. There are parts that show the audience entering and applauding at the end of acts and when the actors take bows but most of the show was filmed without an audience . I believe a lot of Bernadette Peters' performance in Sunday in the Park with George had to be dubbed post production as she was ill when filming was done a few days after the last performance on Broadway. The Hugh Jackman Oklahoma was filmed at a studio and not live. The audience shots were inserted to give the impression that it was filmed in a theater. There was a Live from Lincoln Center production of Sondheim's A Little Night Music . This was done live and with an audience. Sadly this is not available on DVD.

I had a tape and it was great.

The archive of shows at the library of Lincoln Center is the best place to see shows. these are taped at actual performances. The cameras are stationary . These are not meant for broadcast so they do not have many close ups or camera angles. The are literally a filmed stage performance. There are some shows they have that you can not see such as Fiddler on the Roof with Zero Mostel from a 1970's revival. Jerome Robbins and others so disliked

the performance that they restricted viewing to only a very select group of theater professionals. These are not just Broadway productions. regional theater is also included.

From the NYPL at Lincoln Center website:

The Billy Rose Theatre Collection of The New York Public Library is one of the largest and most comprehensive archives devoted to the theatrical arts. Encompassing dramatic performance in all its diversity, the Collection is an indispensable resource for artists, writers, researchers, scholars, students, and the general public. Through conservation and documentation efforts, it preserves and promotes the theatre, playing a dynamic role in the national and international theatrical communities.

The Collections holdings illuminate virtually every type of performance, from street corner to stage to studio, and include drama and musical theatre, film, television, radio, and popular entertainment (circus, magic, vaudeville, puppetry).

Working in the Collection, a user can examine a 1767 program for a performance of Romeo and Juliet in Philadelphia, study Edwin Booths letters to his daughter, review the working script for Orson Welles African-American Macbeth, study costume designs from the film Anna and the King of Siam, analyze a videotape of A Chorus Line, or read scripts from current television hits.

Chronicling performances around the globe and throughout the centuries, the Billy Rose Theatre Collection was formally established in 1931, following a gift to The New York Public Library of thousands of items from the estate of producer and playwright David Belasco. However, its roots date to two other important gifts -the George Becks Collection (1905) and the Robinson Locke Collection (1925). While it houses an extraordinary array of traditional reference materials, the Collections strength and uniqueness lie in its unparalleled collection of theatre ephemera as well as its pioneering efforts to document theatre on videotape and film. Approximately 5 million items illuminate the art of theatre worldwide.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I can appreciate the economic factors involved in not releasing these recorded productions commercially, but as a serious lover of live theater I would be in heaven if I could see some of these shows.
For example, two-and-a-half years ago I was in New York and saw Long Day's Journey Into Night with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Dennehy, Gypsy with Bernadette Peters, Thoroughly Modern Millie with Sutton Foster, The Producers (without Broderick and Lane, unfortunately) and several other productions. It's nice to have the memory of those phenomenal shows but I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to be able to watch them again on DVD. Since I live in Texas and am on a fairly limited budget you can imagine how often I get to stroll the streets of Broadway.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see this thread resurrected.

I suspect the interest in these productions on DVD is higher than the folks who'd have to foot the bill to press them thinks it is. You know, who would have thought people would spend thousands of dollars on TV shows on DVD?

I think they could wisely provide these shows in an archival format without harming the value of the live performance.

Simply record the original cast (just like they do for the album), but hold it from the public until the show closes and it's had a good tour.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I believe a lot of Bernadette Peters' performance in Sunday in the Park with George had to be dubbed post production as she was ill when filming was done a few days after the last performance on Broadway.
Actually, the original cast returned in May of 1989 for one week of performances just prior to taping for American Playhouse on PBS. The show closed in September of 1989.

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Hugh Jackman Oklahoma was filmed at a studio and not live. The audience shots were inserted to give the impression that it was filmed in a theater.
Well, they put one over on me.

I knew it had a weird quality about it, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Guess it all makes sense now.

Doesn't take anything away from the performances, though. Top notch. The dance numbers are incredible.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't see a problem with a production being filmed without an audience present. Don't have a specific need to have audience inserts either.
It's not like an Original Broadway Cast album is made with a live audience, yet it still provides a reminder of the experience.
Preserve for posterity & allow me to have a copy :). I don't mind if it's a single-camera on a single night, or a closed-theater filming. Just lets not lose these bits of magic.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I don't believe any of the Sondheim shows available on DVD were filmed with a live audience.
I haven't watched "Sunday in the Park with George" in a while, but I'm relatively certain it did have a live audience, and I'm absolutely certain the "Into the Woods" DVD had a live audience because they frequently laugh at the show.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Don't forget to mention the original Sweeney Todd with Angela Landsbury- that was filmed with a live audience (although it's more muted on the DVD than the videotape).

Rafael.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
there's also a joseph and his amazing technicolored dreamcoat on dvd. with donnie osmund.

its not exactly the a recording of the live stage production, but its pretty close.. same props and set design but done like a music video.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
With so many Sweeney Todd fans in this thread, please forgive me a brief digression. If you can make it to New York at any time this season, be sure to get tickets for the current revival starring Michael Cerveris and Patti Lupone. The score is the same, but the presentation has been reconceived from top to bottom. As well as you may know the show, this is like seeing it for the first time.
And now back to our original topic. :)
M.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I own the first three of these (I wish, I wish that Guys and Dolls: Off The Record was released onto DVD!!!) and think they are a great way to get the flavor of the performances from the original cast. Are they records of the shows themselves? No. But they do serve as a "middle ground" much like the original cast recordings do. (My VHS copy--from a PBS broadcast--of G&D: OTR is wearing thin it has been played so many times).
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to point out that I just discovered Guys and Dolls: Off the Record--the making of the soundtrack recording of the 1990s revival with Nathan Lane, Peter Gallagher & Faith Prince is being released on DVD this Tuesday, January 30, 2007! :emoji_thumbsup:
http://www.amazon.com/Guys-Dolls-Record-Peter-Gallagher/dp/B000KN7BSG/sr=1-207/qid=1169865440/ref=sr_1_207/002-1353265-0040826?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

dustandroses

Auditioning
Real Name
Jen
I have not checked out Lincoln Center yet, but am eager to. Can you see any former Broadway show you want? What about specific casts? I've been able to see quite a lot of shows on (unofficial) DVDs that I was unable to see in the theater, but there are many that there are no unofficial recordings of that I am dying to see. Like Death of a Salesman, I've searched for everywhere but no one has it. I would love to see it at Lincoln Center if they have it there. Their recordings must be so much better than the other unofficial ones anyway. Though I did get an amazing recording of Hedwig with Neil Patrick Harris recently, though luckily I was able to see that one in the theater too -- so great! And Of Mice and Men too -- I was so upset I missed it in the theater, but so happy that I could still see it on DVD at least.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I think the Lincoln Center Library archive has most of the successful B'way productions starting from the early 1980's or so. Not all are as readily available as others, because some require permission from producer's or director's offices before they can be viewed.

You should contact the library in advance to schedule a viewing. Don't expect to see currently running shows or shows that closed shortly after they opened. Also I believe that there is a waiting period after a show closes before it can be viewed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And I think the library used to require some kind of official credentials to view those shows: that you be a producer, director, actor, etc. doing research for a specific show for a future production. I don't think the library is simply open to the public to come view some long ago Broadway show.

At least that was my understanding some years ago. Things may have changed.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Well, beyond the rights issues (which in some case might be a headache) Music, and film/television rights would need to be sorted. When the last performance of RENT was recorded in HiDef for theater showings, Sony was involved due to the film rights.

There are scores of Broadway shows done for TV in the 1950's-Early 1970's (Many with original casts! that are collecting dust due to right issues - Mary Martin and Ethel Merman both did "Annie Get Your Gun", There's a 1960's version of "Damn Yankees", The Hallmark Hal of Fame production of "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown!" and of course the first 2 versions of "Peter Pan" from 1955 and 1956 with the Broadway cast. These all exist, and more and nothing is being done with them. Kinescopes can be cleaned up and sweetened, old 2" Video can be restored,etc. Heck, there's the 1981 "Snow White At Radio City Musical Hall" that Disney put on Tape 30 years ago!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Snippets of that earlier "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin and the original cast were up on Youtube for a while. Also, the London production of "South Pacific" with Mary Martin was available on Youtube as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks