1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Broadway Musicals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonRoeber, Dec 11, 2001.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Both my girlfriend and I have off the week between Christmas and New Years. We live in Philadelphia, and I was thinking of taking her to NYC for a day. I was origionally thinking of hitting either the MET or the MOMA (we're art fans), but have been thinking recently of going to a broadway show. Matinee is fine. Was thinking of Lion King, Phantom, Les Miz, but am also open to suggestions. Also, I've never bought tickets to a show before. What is the best tactic? And what should I expect to spend? Thanks guys [​IMG]

2. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    In New York I would expect to pay about $75-90 a seat for orchestra seats ("ground floor"). The prices go down from there depending on the show and the seating away from the stage. Close is not always better. In fact, for the Lion King, a lot of stuff happens away from the stage and the best seats are actually about 3/4 back in the orchestra section.
    If you all have never seen any Broadway shows, of the three you mentioned, i would recommend Phantom. It is romantic, legendary for Broadway, and the special effects are just cool. Great for a date night out.
    Les Mis is fairly heavy for Broadway (though also just as popular as Phantom). It is the longest of the three you mentioned and some find it hard to sit through. For that reason, It might not be a good "intro" to Broadway.
    The Lion king is good, but it is basically the Disney movie on stage with some new songs. The Costuming and staging is the best thing about The Lion King in my opinion. It is definitely a must see, but I would put it last in line of the three you mentioned.
    See Phantom. Since it is an older show, you may also find it easier to get tickets to Phantom (and Les Mis), than to Lion King.
    You can check out Broadway.com or Playbill.com to find out show times, ticket info, etc....
    Also, there may be rush tickets to a show you can wait in line for and buy at the last minute for only a few dollars. I believe in the Lion king, they also sell standing room only tickets. it might be an option where you two can get nice tickets to one show (say Phantom), and the next day take in an afternoon show by purchasing rush tickets to Les Mis or the Lion King, etc...
    Another show I woulg highly consider is Linda Eder at the Gershwin Theatre (December 26 - 30 only) : The Holiday Concert. She is a Broadway singer though this is a solo performance concert. Her voice is incredible and her holiday album is great, I am sure her concert will be nothing less than spectacular.
    Best of luck. Have fun. If you end up seeing the Lion king, I have a friend who is a page there. His name is Adam (very tall about 6'4"). Tell him you know me from the HTF and he might help you get great seats or something on the rush tickets. [​IMG]

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Last Thursday, we were in NYC and got to see Mamma Mia! It was totally entertaining ... what a fun show!
    If you're not familiar with it, it's a musical comedy about a young bride-to-be and her single mom, who was a former disco queen when she had her daughter back in 1979. The story is built around 23 ABBA songs. If you were listening to the radio in the 70's, you'll be dancing in the aisles by the finale!
    This show opened on Broadway in October after huge successes in London, Chicago & L.A. and is clearly the Broadway hit of the year. I've heard it was initially sold out for a year, but if you want to pay ... you can get tickets from the ticket brokers.
    I've seen all the shows below and would rank as follows:
    (Mamma Mia & Lion King are a dead tie)
    Lion King
    Les Miserables (I liked it, but its very long)
    Annie Get Your Gun
    Phantom (twice)
    Miss Saigon
    Cats
    Grease
    Footloose
    Titanic (terrible!)
    Every morning, people line up in Times Square for same day Broadway tickets ... the line gets pretty long. Give it a try, but I have no idea what's likely available. I know Mamma Mia!, Lion King & The Producers are the Top Tix right now and not likely available via the discount / last minute route.
    A good place to check for tickets is Tele-charge
    tel: 212-239-6200
    web: www.telecharge.com
    I have December 2001 Broadway Playbill here on my desk and can fax you the 4 pages in the back with all NYC Shows. Just send me an e-mail with your fax.
    Have a great time.
    Scott

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

There's a TKTS booth in Times Square that provides "day of performance" ticket sales for half off the regular ticket price. There is an electronic board outside the booth that lists which shows that tickets are available for. The lines can be long, but moved fast when I've waited. (there was formerly a TKTS booth at the WTC, so the Times Square one probably has even longer lines.) When I was there in the spring, Phantom wasn't on the board, but Les Miz was, as well as a few other long running shows like Beauty and the Beast. There is also a visitor's bureau in Times Square that often has coupons available for most shows.

Of the shows you mentioned, I would agree the Phantom is a crowd pleaser. I'm not terribly fond of the music, but the staging and costumes are great. Les Miz is fantastic--one of my favorite shows--but I know others that didn't like it because of the heavy material (I find the story uplifting) and the length (the show was trimmed by about 30 minutes a year or two ago.) You'll have a tough time getting into Lion King if that's the show you decide on. It regularly plays to over 100% capacity (standing room included) and is the second hardest ticket to get on Broadway after The Producers. Of course, tickets to any show might be easier to get since 9/11.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Is RENT still around on Broadway?

And is Patrick Stewart doing his one-man Christmas Carol this season? I saw that a few years back, and it was fantastic.

- Steve

6. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Bill Buklis
    The best show to see is "The Producers". But, this is also the hardest to get tickets for. I second that with "The Lion King", but then I'm somewhat of a Disney fan. For easier availability, Phantom is always a good choice.

I don't think it's still playing, but if it is, then I'd say to skip seeing "CATS". I thought this one was very boring. The sets and costumes were nice. The songs were OK by themselves. But, when you put it all together, I had trouble staying awake. There's absolutely no plot or any story to this one. It's just a bunch of songs with people in cat costumes dancing around.

I just saw "Beauty and the Beast" for the second time during its second run here in Chicago. This is an excellent show. I don't know if it's playing anymore in New York though.

7. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

Heres a link to the TKTS (half price ticket booth) offers.
    These change daily. As you can see, theres plenty available.
    Theres another booth at Bowling Green (southern tip of NY) where you can buy tickets the day before.
    http://newyork.citysearch.com/featur...s_generic_17_1
    Hope this helps.
    Also - if youre planning on going in January (specific dates) - the NYTimes is running a promotion on both Broadway and off Broadway, and free museum admissions. This was originally supposed to run the middle of September but got postponed for obvious reasons.
    http://nytimes.com/ads/marketing/artsleisureweekend/

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Also, if you're going to NYC after New Year's there is a half-price promotion going on for Phantom and Les Miz for weekday performances. Here's the link with the details.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Closed. Ditto for Miss Saigon.
    For anyone interested in non-musicals, the current revival of Noises Off is one of the funniest things I've seen on stage. And the revival of The Women, which I'm seeing next week, features an all-star cast and a nude scene by Jennifer Tilly. [​IMG]
    M.