What's new

Broadcast TV through HT system - how to? (1 Viewer)

I have a Denon 3801 that I picked up second-hand; it is my first ht system and I am thrilled. I have everything working A-OK; I have a dvd player, dish pvr, vcr, video game platform all running through the system.

I can't seem to get the broadcast tv figured out--I get my local channels (including all networks) off the air (great reception) so I have a coax to plug into tv, vcr, etc. There isn't a place in the Denon for a coax input--shouldn't I be able to run the broadcast coax through the vcr, back into the avr and then to the tv, so I can get
surround sound football?

Thank you in advance for your help. This forum helped me get through initial setup problems when my old speakers were making my denon shutoff--I thought I bought a bum reciever but it turned out to be great!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Just run the audio outputs of whatever device is doing the tuning to the Denon. If using the VCR, switch to the VCR input. If using the TV tuner, run the audio output of the TV to another input.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
What Stephen said. Or, if you have a digital cable box or DishNetwork or DirecTV, you can connect the audio out (digital or analog) to an input on the receiver.

Otherwise, you'll probably want to run the audio out from the TV to your receiver, unless you like tuning through your VCR (I don't).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, the TV antenna feed does not run through the receiver. The receiver only has an AM/FM tuner. It does not have a tuner for broadcast TV or cable TV stations.

As Stephen and Nathan indicated, your VCR or television acts as the tuner for TV programming.

Personally I prefer using the VCR as the tuner. Then you can keep your TV set to its line (a.k.a. video, aux etc.) input all the time.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks