Broadband: Leave On or Turn Off

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Armando Zamora, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

I've had cable broadband for over a year with both a hardware and software firewall. Because of the "always on" capability of broadband, I've made it a habit (due to paranoia) to always turn off the cable modem when access to the Net is not needed. Should I continue to go about my routine of turning off the cable modem when not in use for security sake? Or is it okay to leave the modem "on" since I do have a firewall(s) set up?

Just curious. thx.

-Armando

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I never turn my cable modem off. Even when the computer is.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Personal preference IMHO. Are you a business that has vital information that could be lost due to a hacker? Are you worried about getting possible nasty bugs in your system left behind my people? If so then there is absolutely no harm in turning off your cable modem when you are not using the computer for long periods of time. If its an inconvenience and you are not worried about the above mentioned then leave it on. Personally I would turn it off though you are certainly doing the right thing by running both a hardware and software firewall. If they can get through those then the only way you could stop them is by turning off the modem.

KyleS

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i would assume turning off the modem pretty much is the ultimate firewall. [​IMG]
    fwiw, i never turn mine off...

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Get Black Ice Defender:
    http://blackice.iss.net/
    and monitor any attempts to hack into your system. If there's none successful over a long period, you're probably safe. If there are no attempts at all, then you're doubly so.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've got a nice little LAN setup at home, so inorder to make it as easy as possible to maintain, I leave everything on all the time. The cable modem stays on, the router stays on, and the wireless AP stays on. The laptops are only on when they're being used, and then they're behing a NAT. They're also Macs, so that's one less thing for me to worry about.

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

A question for you guys with DSL. Do you have a static IP or dynamic? If you have dynamic and leave your rig on all the time, does your ISP release and renew your IP adress very often. I am looking at getting a DSL from Bellsouth and want to set up an X10 webcam so my wife can see our dogs in the backyard when she travels. It would be no problem to have to put in the IP address numerically and even change every couple of weeks but if they renew you every night, then it might be a problem.

Yes, I am a cheap bastard and don't want to have to pay the extra $20 a month that BS wants for a static IP. I'm not running a public website or anything though.

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

9. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

I have time warner road runner (behind a firewall) its a dynamic address, but the lease time is two weeks or so. as for the address renew, it is my understanding, that even at the time of renew, you get the same ip address, it just extends the lease (at the lease 1/2 life, e.g. if you have a 14 day lease, at 7 days it it tries to renew for another 14 days) your ip wont change. (or i should say, shouldnt change) with all that said, there is freeware available on the internet that you can use to map your dynamic ip address to a static DNS on the internet.
    if you are a business, you need to donate to most of those sites, if you are an individual, then most of the time it is free... check out this link for more info, or PM me if you like.
    http://www.dyndns.org/

10. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Does the modem have a standby mode? The modem supplied by Road Runner comes with a standby that puts the modem in hybernation...unless that doesn't keep signals from passing?

Bruce

11. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Most modems take some time to reconnect once they have been disconnected... It's best to leave it on 24/7.

If you want your PC to be 100% secure, you could always disconnect the network cable between your PC and your cablemodem.

Had mine since 99 with 0 problems.

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I vote for leaving it on. Set you lan up right & take the normal security precautions - it's so much less hassle to get on the net and much less of an issue with a cable coming loose over time (by constantly having to touch the router, etc.) Also, if you live with roomates/spouses/kids, they don't have to fiddle with it either.

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

14. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

A while ago Cox cable cancelled their contract with Road Runner and decided to handle their own broadband service. They suck. But anyway, for months now I've had the same IP address, and it's a dynamic-IP service. So I guess it varies.

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer