Brits: How big are Stereophonics?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lawson, Feb 5, 2002.

1. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I've been a fan of them for a few years now, but "Have A Nice Day" was the first track to get a fair amount of commercial airplay in this area. I was surprised at the attendance for their concert here in Cincinnati (estimated at 900), but I was more surprised to hear that they regularly sold out entire stadiums across the pond. Just how pervasive are they over there?

2. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I'd be a bit curious to know as well. I had never heard anything by them until I picked up there latest recently. I like it very much. I would also like to know how there earlier stuff compares to their latest. Has their sound changed much from album to album?

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Not a fan at all, personally, but they are MONSTROUSLY big. I believe they sold out the Cardiff stadium or something so we are talking 10's of thousands.

Actually the J.E.E.P. album sold only reasonably compared to the stupid volumes of the last one (something about Cocktails?). Recently they came into some stick for putting out the Handbags and Gladrags cover, but I don't really know why.

Unfortunately British music is pretty bland at the moment but if you want a really cool band check out Life Without Buildings.

4. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Theo--Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they were THAT big over there.
    As for British music being "bland" right now, well, I guess it all depends on what type of music you like. I am very much enjoying much of the music coming out of Britain these days. I guess if you like the more heavy stuff then bland could be used to describe much of the bands coming out of Britain these days. But to my ears it is sounding very good.[​IMG]
    I have bought a ton of new British music lately. Check out the thread I started concerning The British Invasion Part II here in the music section! Or is it Part III? Not sure.
    But bands like Turin Brakes, Cosmic Rough Riders, Starsailor, Toploader, Elbow, Tom McRae, Travis, and older bands like Teenage Fanclub, Sterephonis...some pretty darn good stuff to these ears!

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Brian, my personal favorite is their debut album, Word Gets Around. I'm actually quite disappointed with the latest album, which just doesn't seem as cohesive or inspired as the first two. Their sound hasn't changed all that much; the first two albums frequently shift gears between tracks, just as the new one does (and just as their set list did, which threw some audience members for a loop), but I think/hope you'll agree that the creativity in both the lyrics and the melodies is lacking on Just Enough Education To Perform.
    I've been on something of a Brit kick lately as well; I just received Mull Historical Society's Loss from amazon.co.uk a few days ago (which is an interesting debut effort, but only shines on a few tracks), and I'm trying to find out more about South, as I like what I've heard from their latest album. JJ72 opened for Stereophonics, and I like their debut as well, although it isn't very original.
    Don't forget to add The Catherine Wheel to your list of "older" bands there... [​IMG]

6. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

I'm sort of on a Brit kick too after listening to Teenage Fanclub's "Grand Prix." What a fantastic album!

7. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I just received the new Stereophonics CD and I love it. I've been listening to it, Saves the Day, the Chemical Brothers Come With Us CD, and Jimmy Eat World over and over for the past few days. I think they're all great CDs!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Ah yes...Teenage Fanclub's Grand Prix. Indeed a very fine album. Try and get a copy of Howdy! as well...their latest. I think it is only available as an import right now, but another very fine album from Teenage Fanclub.

As is Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American.

Well alright!

Check out Best Buy this week for another fine British band's American debut..Starsailor - Love Is Here. Only $6.99. And a darn good album.

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Brian: New Metal sucks for me. It's a pale shadow of Nirvana.
    Life Without Buildings are so very far from Rock. Go to http://www.lifewithoutbuildings.co.uk and you can listen to some samples of their stuff.
    Doves are another class band. I am more of a Radiohead/Blur man when it comes to British music.
    I have to say that the early 'Phonics stuff is pretty good. But Kelly Jones has since decided that his voice has to be a carbon copy of Rod Stewart's and I really don't like that. However, that's a quite a wide list you're listening to! [​IMG]

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

If you like Grad Prix try the Bandwandesque cd. Much Better then GP...by my opinion that is.