Britons top European Fat League

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Christou, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Eeeeek!! I was shocked to find this on aol news...
    BRITONS TOP EUROPEAN 'FAT LEAGUE'
    "BRITONS are the fatsos of Europe and the second fattest nation on the planet, according to a study out today.
    Only the notoriously podgy US has more cases of obesity than the UK - where more than one in five adults is seriously overweight.
    The Americans top the world fat league, drawn up by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, with 26% obesity among adults.
    The UK is second with a hefty 21%, while the Swiss are Europe's trimmest with an obesity rate of only 6.8%.
    The Japanese are the world's skinniest nation with a shapely 2.9% obesity rate."
    Wow! While I ain't as thin as I used to be (185b), I don't think I'm a fatso yet, but when I go out "I see overweight people" so it must be true (sobs), a nation of fatsos!! [starts munching crisps] why why why? [eats tub of ice cream]....[​IMG]

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Well just wait a while Steve, at least there's some light at the end of the UK tunnel. Canada has the world's fattest kids according to a recent report

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Steve, from a resident of the official "Fattest City In America", let me just say to you and your fellow citizens - Congratulations, and welcome to the club!! [​IMG]

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Try as you Brits and Canadiens may, you'll never top the good ol' USA when it comes to girth!!!!
    [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

We also have the best sense of humour in Europe, one of the best football teams (now), the best pilots, soliders, music (shit, that ain't hard) though I must admit the German trains are better than ours and the Swiss do have nicer mountains [​IMG]

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

7. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

8. andrew markworthy

I imagine the reason why the Swiss and the Japanese have low rates of obesity is the price of food in those countries.[​IMG]
    There really is something weird about Brit eating habits. The media here are obsessed with every food health scare under the sun (e.g. according to the 'expert' reports a few years ago, hundreds of thousands of us should now be dead with made cow disease, but the rate of new variant CJD remains at circa 10 new cases per year), most food in restaurants is mediocre (though there are good places to eat in Britain, contrary to what you non-Brits think), and the choice in supermarkets is limited compared with the USA. You'd think people wouldn't be enticed to overeat, and yet we do.
    And just to add to Rob's comments - we were the first to speak English, and we've got Shakespeare, Newton, Darwin, and Anne Widdicombe. The only time any other country in Europe does better than us in music is in the Eurovision song contest, and that's only because the scandanavians vote for each other. So we may be fat, but we're still superior. And our men's athletics team is the best in Europe.
    Have a nice day.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]