Britney Spears' new song/video ("Me Against the Music")

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ricardo C, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Well, at least the title of the song makes sense, since this 21st century Paula Abdul has been trying to murder musical expression for the past four years :p) But that's where anything resembling logic ends.

The song is yet another one of those written-by-committee (the Matrix, I think, are the culprits), generic pop songs. The beat sounds as though it was recycled from "I'm a Slave 4 U", and the lyrics (if they can be called that) are whispered and panted rather than sung. The song contains no hooks and/or memorable riffs, nor a discernible structure, which is not necessarily a bad thing for music written by actual musicians, but in this case the absence of a catchy tune leaves us with nothing but noise. In between the whispered/pseudo-rapped verses are two other components that I THINK are supposed to pass for a bridge and a chorus, but I'm not sure.

The actual lyrics are some half-assed story about Britney feeling as though she's competing with the beat when she dances. She also manages to work in the expression "chic-a-taa" a few times. Throughout the song, she's taunted by Madonna, who dares her to lose control. This song makes "Baby One More Time" sound deep.

The video... What can I say about the video? Britney, in her best late-period Michael Jackson outfit, chases after Madonna in a club. At one point, they're separated by a wall, and Madonna adopts a series of sexual positions as Britney faces the wall with disappointment in her eyes. The chase continues, they stalk each other in supposedly erotic pose after supposedly erotic pose, until Britney catches up to her and Madonna vanishes just as Britney's about to kiss her. What does the video have to do with the content of the song? Not a lot, though I'm sure many a lonely teenage boy will tape it.

This is one aspect of Britney's career I've never quite understood. She does sexy photoshoots all the time (her latest ones have featured her nearly naked), and pulls stunts like kissing Madonna during the VMAs. I admit it, I think the pictures are hot. She's very attractive, and has an amazing body. But I have no respect for her as a musician, since she can neither sing, play an instrument, OR write a song. And the prefabricated music she's given by her puppeteers is garbage of the worst quality. So, I don't buy her albums. Nor do the vast majority of the demographic she seeks to attract with her sexed up image. So what's the point of having everyone aware of your presence if they don't buy the product? Oh well.

Anyway, the song blows, that's my key point :p)

So, why did I review this? Because it is, simply put, the worst song I've heard in my life, and this is coming from a guy who grew up surrounded by the music of Vanilla Ice and NKOTB, so I know a thing or two about crappy music. I just had to share my hatred with you fine people :p)

2. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

3. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Paula's songs always had catchy hooks, too.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

And I still maintain Madonna's best work was when Guccione put her in Penthouse 30 or so years ago...

5. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

Yup, the Britney song blows and the video was painful to sit through. Madonna looks like a ragged old lady to me now and will do anything to keep herself in the spotlight.

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Its no secret that sex sells so IMO Brittney's music is just a crutch to sell sex. Thats ok, I'll be looking forward to when she's washed up in 5 years and graces the pages of Hustler.

7. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i'd hit it.[​IMG]

8. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

How's the video if you turn down the sound[​IMG]

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Is this the song she "sang" on SNL a couple of weeks back? Man, that was pathetic. I could only take about 20 seconds before I had to skip ahead to the next sketch (thank goodness for TiVo).

Great review, Ricardo. It applies to much of what passes for "pop music" these days. What the hell happened to tunes???

10. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Britney Lip-syncs!!! Well blow me over with a ... Oh wait she NEVER sings her own music!!.

I'd hit it, as long as she doesn't speak!

Brent

12. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

From a Newsweek article