What's new

Bristish Actresses with perfect American accent. (1 Viewer)

Nick

Second Unit
There's so many actors and actresses from other english spoken country that can speak perfect American accent.

Some of them speak so good that I thought were American.

The girl form Pearl Harbor forgot her name. Minie Driver.

Claire Forlani (meet joe black) Cate Blanchett and Jude Law.

Do they have classes for these guys to take or what ?

I was wondering if any of the American actors and actresses can do a good job with Bristish accent.

Anybody from Britain over here ?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I believe the actress you're referring to is Kate Beckinsdale (sp?). She surprised me in The Last Days of Disco...spoke as a Yank in that one too. She is a stunning, classical beauty.

I always am impressed by the Brits who can tune an American accent perfectly. Although, I always think of it as losing their British accent.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Since you mentioned actors and actresses, I would add Tim Roth, Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham Carter to the list.

There are lots of terrific actors that come from the United Kingdom and they all seem to do a wonderful American accent. Conversely, there are wonderful actors that come from the United States, but most of them can't do a good British accent (save for Gwyneth Paltrow and Forest Whittaker).

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Tim Roth and Gary Oldman are the best actresses of them all. ;)
Sorry, Tom, couldn't resist. :b

Nick

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure there's more than what I have listed.

Thanks to the special on DVD that I can find out their true accent.

Ike

Screenwriter
But, there are few who don't seem to catch it. They over do it, trying for a New York accent.

And even with some Brits, if they fool me (say I think they are American from watching the movie, then I realize they are British), if I go back and listen close, you can tell it's never 100% smooth. Helena Bohnam Carter comes to mind. In some lines in Fight Club, if you listen for it, she is clearly got a British undertone.

Is an American accent easier to do that British?

Nick

Second Unit
Now that you mentioned Kenneth Brannagh. His ex-wife Emma Thompson did a good american accent in "Dead again" too.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
Well, I'm American, so no doubt my ear can't catch some of the subtleties, but I was impressed with both Elijah Wood and Sean Astin's efforts in FOTR.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I believe the actress you're referring to is Kate Beckinsdale (sp?). She surprised me in The Last Days of Disco...spoke as a Yank in that one too. She is a stunning, classical beauty.
Not to take away anything from Ms. Beckinsale, but I'm pretty sure Nick meant to refer to Cate Blanchett -- although I can understand the confusion since Ms. Blanchett isn't British (she's Australian). She's done a pitch-perfect Long Island housewife in Pushing Tin, a convincing Southerner (to my ear, at least) in The Gift, and an impressive upstate New York tramp in The Shipping News.
Her Scots accent in Charlotte Gray sounds pretty good too, but I'm probably not the best judge. :)
M.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you know that Nicole Kidman was actually born in America
As was Mel Gibson. I admit, I didn't know about Kidman, who was born in Honolulu.

Two who haven't been mentioned that come to mind are Olivia D'abo and, believe it or not, Emily Lloyd. I had no idea Lloyd was British until I saw an interview with her.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of television, the actor that played Higgins on Magnum P.I. was American.

Crawdaddy

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
While her American accent isn't too great, I would rather watch Elizabeth Hurley than any other British actress!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I thought of another one, and this time it's an actress ;)
Naomi Watts. The first time I noticed her was in "Mulholland Drive" and I would have never guessed she is British.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks