Bringing a cat into a dog's world

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ike, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I just got a cat (Iggy), and I already have a somewhat (err...very) territorial dog (Buster). The dog is moderately small (about 17 lbs) and the cat is about average size, so I'm not worried about my dog tearing the cat to shreds.

I've been keeping Iggy the cat in my bedroom, where I can keep him quarantined off. I've been bringing Buster the dog in on a leash, and holding him. I thought that would allow him to get Iggy's scent, and get used to him. But he just shivers, and if I let him near Iggy, he lunges at him. I'm really more afraid for Buster than I am Iggy, as Iggy seems like he could scratch a tree into a toothpick.

So, does anyone have tips for mingling an animal that's been in the house for a while with a new one?

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I don't think keeping them separated is helping.

My 2 kitties have been living together for years, but if I take one away (like to the vet or something) and bring him back some time later, the two hiss at each other and scrap like nobody's business...for a while.

I think you will just have to let them free so they can interact. I suspect they will either become friends or learn to avoid each other.

Growing up, we mixed cats and dogs together a couple of times and it was basically the same thing...they don't get along for a little while, but eventually become friends.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Tie their tales together for an added measure.

4. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

We have 4 cats each acquired one at a time. We would just keep them separated when not at home. After a week or two of hissing, growling and the occasional ass kicking(nothing serious) the newest one has always fit in. At that point we would let the newest one have the run of the house just like the others. The cat, unless it is a small kitten, should have no problem getting away from the dog. If the cat has its front claws that is probably more of a concern. Just keep close tabs on them when they are together for the first week or two and it'll probably work out just fine.

-Dave

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ike, you're on the right track. Don't know how long you've had the cat in the bedroom, but we did that for about 2 weeks.

What you might want to do instead of letting Buster get into the room while Iggy is there, take Iggy out and put him in another room and let Buster go into Iggys room for a while. That will let him get used to the scent, without having to actually deal with Iggy. You'll probably want to do this for at least a few days. Then, instead of bringing Buster into Iggy's room, let Iggy walk around the house while Buster is out, for short periods of time, so Buster gets used to that scent in other places too. Then gradually let them spend more time together and after a while they should be fine.

This is how we did it when we brought a third cat in, and it worked well. Fortunately, the dog we got later doesn't even pay any attention whatsoever to the cats, so that integration process took about 5 minutes. [​IMG]

/Mike

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Sounds good Micke. I'll try that.

Iggy does have his claws, and they are sharp. He's not mean, but he has taken a few swipes at the dog when he got close.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I would agree with giving the cat the run of the house while the dog is away. This should let the cat get comfortable with the surroundings, and have less stress from entering a new environment. It may take a while for the two to settle on who is in charge, but they will adjust. Just make sure you don't have anything valuable near the edge of unstable furniture...

9. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

Trim the cat's claws. But leave enough so it will still hurt a little. It'll take time, but after enough swiping Buster on the nose, the dog will get the message. Keeping them apart is only delaying the inevitable. They're going to have to establish their own dynamic. Let them. Just keep an eye on them in case it gets bloody.

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Just thought I'd post some pictures of the two together. Buster accidentally got in the room, and they didn't fight, so we just let them mingle. They've gotten along without fighting at all.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Awww, they are so CUTE! [​IMG]

Good to hear they're getting along!

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

We got our scotties because the people who had them also had 2 cats. They terrorized the cats night and day till they just divided the house in two. I think some breeds were trained to go after cats etc more then others.
    A black cat got in to our house one day. One was distracting the cat head on and the other was circling around for 'the kill'. I got the cat out before anything happened but I was suprised how their hunting tactics came to them