What's new

Bring me the head of Edison Carter! (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it's time for my yearly wish for Max Headroom: The Complete Series to come to DVD. With it's vision of a futuristic network landscape it seems that their 20 minutes into the future was only off by a little bit.

Anyway, it's only 14 episodes! Who owns the rights? With the 80's version of The Twilight Zone still rumored to be coming out, this show may be the last of my Holy Grails.

Ric

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
It would be nice to see the ABC rendition of Max Headroom on DVD. They broke it up into two "seasons": the first "season" had only seven episodes, while the second "season" had the remaining six episodes. The final episode was memorable because it was a wry commentary about the series' cancellation.

Not only should they have the entire series on DVD, they should also include the 60-minute British feature film in the set as well. The pilot episode of the ABC series basically retells the British film but with a mostly different cast.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let's see, the original Max Headroom was produced by Channel 4 in the UK, Chrysalis was involved, and the US production was done by Lorimar.

I just recently started transferring my Beta tapes over to DVD-R, and even though I've watched the series again on Bravo and Tech TV, I don't think I've paid such close attention to it since the original broadcast. The attention to detail in creating an entire world was amazing. It really is like you're stepping sideways into an alternate reality - one that's all too possible. Matt Frewer has never truly been recognized for his talents, and Jeffrey Tambor ... he's known mostly for his comedy these days, but the man's got chops.

And the episode Baby Grobags, which was not aired on ABC, is as topical today as it was in the '80s.

I'd buy this on DVD in a heartbeat.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I remember when Max Headroom premiered and thinking to myself "it'll never last... this show is way too good for television," can't say I was wrong. Anyway, you can put me down for a copy when it makes its DVD debut.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I used to think that, after seeing him on Max Headroom and Doctor, Doctor. Now, I sort of figure that he needs to be cast in exactly the right role, which didn't happen between Doctor, Doctor and Taken. I still love the guy, but he's really hit and miss.

Does Warner own this? I know when the show was running on Bravo, the WB logo would pop up after the Lorimar one.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know, Trashcan Man in The Stand was a pretty amazing role. Frewer seems to fit the character actor or supporting actor mold better than the star, though. That was one of the things that made Max Headroom work, I think - the ensemble.

I would love commentary by Frewer and J. Morgan Sheppard. Pays, too, since she also appeared in the UK pilot. Actually, a commentary track by Max Headroom would be a scream. :>

LizH

Second Unit
Theora was my favorite character. :)

Tough, intelligent ... and unlike a lot of women in prime-time, she wasn't obsessed with finding a man!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
This was one great show, but an example of what happens when a TV show bites the hand that feeds. It hit a little too close to home in terms of network TV and I think it paid the price, unfortunately.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Well, besides a new transfer of Excalibur, there's another thing I could have asked during the WB chat! I couldn't think of a thing when it was going on!

I sure loved this show. Maybe one of the reasons is I'm a TV Cameraman. Though I never pointed the camera at myself and started reporting into it. I think in the first episode Edison smacked someone in the head with it... Never did that either!

Anyway, for now I guess I'll just keep hoping.

Ric

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, now there's a dream package ... Max Headroom on DVD, with package design by Ric Easton ... commentary by Frewer in Max Headroom mode ... plus the Cinemax talking head show ... sigh.

A girl can dream, can't she?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Alas, no...

I would love to have animated Max menus. You could CGI the head these days and have Frewer do the voice again...

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

What was that particular episode about? All I know is when I taped it during the 80's, the last episode that ABC aired mentioned its cancellation.

I agree, seeing some new CGI-animated menus of Max Headroom on the DVD would be wonderful, even to the point of throwing in some really wry comments when you let the menu sit on screen for too long (a la the "Snow White", "T2" Ultimate Edition, or "Star Wars: Episode I" DVDs).

When this series eventually hits DVD, I hope that it's treated with care and not thrown together onto a 2-disc DVD-18 set. A good 3- or 4-disc set with good extras would perfectly suit this series.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy this in a hot second. This is easly in the top 5 TV shows in the history of television.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Freaking BUMP!

Every week I look at the lame ass crap TV coming out (IMHO, of course) and still no sign of Max Headroom! This show was a true classic, way ahead of it's time, and a pretty good predicter of the future of TV.

Anyone know if there is any possibility of the ABC series seeing the light of day?

Ric

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I never saw this show but it sounds interesting and I really hope it comes on DVD eventually it seems like one of those shows that need to join the LONG list of one season or two shows that were great and should be on DVD. It's too bad when WB had that poster of shows a while ago that this didn't come out too, maybe it be one of other bonus disks this year?

LizH

Second Unit

What about Amanda Pays?

I'd love to hear her do a commentary (I that British accent! IMO, she could recite the phone book and make it sound sexy. )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks