1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bring light in the Italian HT forum, please..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by emanuele, Nov 12, 2001.

1. emanuele

emanuele Auditioning

Hi!!!
    I would like to ask to this forum a question that divide the italian forum: how to connect the DVD to the TV.
    If, from a video quality point of view, is better the scart RGB connection or the S-video connection...
    Many thanks for help Italy...

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Theoretically, the SCART RGB connection can provide a better image because the S-video connection has bandwidth limited color component signals to facilitate the color signals being modulated onto a subcarrier. The luma bandwidth should be the same between the SCART and S-Video connections, but the SCART RGB connection COULD provide better chroma resolution. This presupposes that the DVD player is not itself bandwidth limiting the color components prior to transcoding the recorded luma and two color components into RGB domain. The RGB signals should be full bandwidth signals thereafter.
    One would need to know how a particular DVD player handles the signals prior to transcoding to really answer the question, but the potential is present for higher color resolution with SCART RGB if transcoding was well implemented .
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    Ovation Software, The Calibration Tool Source
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on November 12, 2001 at 03:31 AM]

3. emanuele

emanuele Auditioning

Many thanks..
    In my case, I have to connect the Philips 9525 to the Panasonic RV60..
    What should be the better cable connection between the scart RGB and the S-video??
    Thanks!!!!

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

It would be only a guess as to which output of the Panasonic performs better as I have neither the machine nor the circuit and design information for the player. My bet would be on the Scart RGB connection.
    I can understand how difficult it may be to tell the two apart if you look at normal resolution test patterns. Resolution patterns are intended to look at luma resolution and reveal nothing about chroma resolution. In terms of luma resolution the two connections should look very similar unless the display's line doubler is doing something odd to the signals. Chroma resolution test patterns are hard to come by, even in NTSC. Lacking a real chroma bandwidth test one is reduced to seeing how sharply color transitions occur on screen (horizontally). You may be able to differentiate which is better by carefully examining which connection has the least horizontal color smear.
    If you really cannot see a difference after examining the sharpness of color transitions, then I pose to a question? Does it matter which connection is used if you can't tell them apart?
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    Ovation Software, The Calibration Tool Source

5. Lin Weiwen

Lin Weiwen Stunt Coordinator

Ciao. Come stai?
    I feel that the RGB connection definitely provides better picture quality than S video. S video connections are infamous for their unnatural colour reproduction. Eg. yellowish flesh tones.
    Ciao. Buona settimana. [​IMG]