Brightness setting on Toshiba 50HDX82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Smith, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

I just got a 50HDX82 a week ago, and so far am very happy with the picture quality. However, I'm surprised at how high I need to set the brightness level. I used Avia to adjust the set, and here are the settings I came up with:

Contrast 35
    Brightness 73
    Color 53
    Sharpness 30

I did not expect to have the brightness set that high, but it looks correct at that level on HD material. Even more suprising is that when watching DVDs, I need to set the brightness to 80, or the picture looks too dark, and I lose a lot of detail in all but the brightest scenes.

I am not one who likes to watch their TV in "torch mode", and my previous TV had the brightness set much lower than this (relative to the highest setting). Is there something different about the HDX82 series where you need to set brightness higher than on other sets?

As I said, I am extremely happy with the picture, but I don't want to risk burn-in. I know that a high contrast setting can cause this, but does a high brightness setting pose the same risk?

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I think "torch mode" refers to setting the contrast (white level), rather than the brightness (black level), too high.

I have a different Toshiba (50H72) and it also seemed kind of dark until I adjusted it. I set contrast to 39 and brightness to 65.

3. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

I just got a 42H82 and had similar results.

I did notice however that if the lights are out and the ALS feature is turned off, the picture gets a little brighter without actually increasing brightness.

You may want to check that setting.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I would not be too worried about high birghtness settings.

All it means is that the service menu brightness was set on the low side coming from the factory by whomever did the final touch up on the set.

Regards

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I find that the correct Brightness setting usually ends up in the 60's on these models, so there's nothing unusal about your set. 35 is probably pretty low for Contrast, but if it looks okay to you, that's all that matters!