Brightness levels on Mits RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Herrod, Oct 13, 2002.

1. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Here's the deal. After running the black level test on the Sound and Vision Tune Up disc and setting it to the point where only the right vertical bar is barely visible, my brightness level still is about 80%. From what I've heard, that seems a little too high for an RPTV because of the burn-in issue. I just bought a Mits WS-55411 HD monitor. Wondering if I should ignore the recommended brightness level. The DVD picture looks great, but I don't want to cook my CRTs prematurely. Thanks, Jim

2. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

You are fine with brightness set at 80%, it's contrast that is the issue for screen burn in.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

make sure "black level enhancement" is off in the menu.

80 sounds very high, but true that contrast is the setting of concern for burn-in.

4. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

As the others stated, the contrast control is the one which is a concern for CRT life expectancy, as well as for potential uneven phosphor burn. The reason brightness is so often mentioned hen giving advice to new owners is that the two are usually "tied in together." In other words, if one is re-set, the other typcially needs to be re-calibrated. So, if one lowers the contrast (as one should), then one should also go and adjust the brightness along with it.

You have not posted where your contrast is. You might do so.

Also, you should make certain all of the various "picture enhancements" are turned "off" ot inactive. Some of them can cause your careful calibrations to be way, way off, and some can even override your careful calibrations. As a reply above mentions, if you see a reference to any "black level enhancement" shut this off. And, if you see any mention of an "Iris" control turn this off, as well. Even if you lowered your contrast to 25%, if the Iris is on, it can automatically override this, and push the contrast right back up to 100%. The same goes for any of the artificial enhancements. They almost always spell bad news.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Good catch on the IRIS bruce.
    Most certainly leave this off, as it can take your beautiful picture and turn it into an eyeball burning nightmare. [​IMG]

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Higher brightness would effect CRT life, but not burn in. More light output means more phosphor wear.

I have no idea what's typical for a Mits, but if you used a test pattern and are reasonably sure you did it correctly (it's pretty obvious if brightness is too high, the whole picture just looks very washed out, even when it's only a bit too high.)

7. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

I just got my 65611 and it is amazing!! I made all the expected adjustments turned brightness and contrast down...

Bruce, I See you mentioning something about an Iris setting?? Could you tell me where this setting is found??

I did see any setting for this onmy new set....

I have avia on the way and then the fun begins!!

thanks,
    Chris

8. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Yea, my first order of business was to bump down the contrast to about 30-35%. After reading your posts, I'm not going to sweat the brightness setting too much. I'll keep it around 70% just based on how the picture looks. Thanks for the help. Jim