Brightness issue, is it the speakers or the receiver

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by james_stewart, Jun 28, 2005.

1. james_stewart

Ok I don't know where to begin to pinpoint my brightness issue, I'll start by asking here. My current setup: Harman Kardon 635, , Aperion Audio 522 Fronts, Aperion Audio 422 center, Aperion Audio 422 surrounds, SVS PB-10 sub, and a Panasonic RP62 DVD player.

I've set everything up with DVE using an Aperion SPL meter. The problem I'm having is with brightness. During refrence level (-4db) movie playback the highs are painful to the ears. Even at -10db levels the highs are ear piercing. I never had this problem before I upgraded to my H/K 635 (I used a Pioneer 1014 before). I ran my system at refrence levels before the upgrade with no problems. I have all speakers set to small, and crossover is 100 on the 422s, and 80 on the 522s. I don't know why I never experienced this level of brightness before I purchased the H/K 635. Isn't the H/K supposed to be a warmer receiver?

~james

2. John S

John S Producer

While a little surprised with your results. I have found the Pioneer 1014 to be best paird with really forward (bright) speakers. Not that I have any answers for you though. I don't have any experience with that speaker line in all honesty.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well you reference you didn't have the problem until you brought the HK into the picture.
    I don't think the HK is a so called bright receiver. But like mentioned the HK/Speaker combo just might not flow together. Maybe go back to a Pioneer again since you didn't have any issues withthe combo before.

4. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I've also never heard of anyone saying an HK is a "bright" receiver. They are supposedly very neutral.

I've heard that Aperions can tend to be "forward" or "bright"....so maybe your pioneer was warming them up a bit and the HK is playing neutral which might make the Aperions sound bright.

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Probably your room. If it's untreated you can't expect "reference level" to sound properly balanced.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The room wouldn't suddenly be an issue unless we're talking about a move to a different room, or perhaps a drastic change in furnishings.

A change in perceived brightness that drastic, I have to wonder about tone control settings from one receiver to the next.

Even if that’s not the situation, it’s easy enough to adjust the brightness with the treble control. If it’s “painful to the ears” that suggests exaggerated response somewhere between 2-6 kHz. If you have tone controls with adjustable bandpass filtering in that range you might try cutting 2-4 dB and experiment between 2-6 kHz and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt