brightness/contrast settings

Discussion in 'Displays' started by WarrenC, Oct 10, 2003.

1. WarrenC

WarrenC Auditioning

Hi guys,

I have a Panasonic 47" widescreen, PT47WX53. Its great, but I'm wondering about the brightness settings and not wearing anything out.

I have relatively decent light control in the living room where the TV is, but its not perfect. I'm trying to keep the brightness and "picture" settings (which I believe must be contrast) low, but sometimes it looks too dark in the dark settings and too light in the light settings.. any advice on properly settings things up, or where to start?

I like to watch hockey (dark figures on a white background), and right now it doesn't look great.

I know lots of you out there have the same TV, what settings are you using for various light conditions and source material?

I typically watch about 30% pro-scan DVD and 70% satelitte.

Thanks

-Warren

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Warren, go purchase a calibration DVD (AVIA is easy to understand and follow) and run through the routines and test patterns. As you've come to discover, ambient light levels have far greater an impact on an RPTV's picture than a direct-view set's. I'd arrive at the proper user-control settings by calibrating in a room that has been completely darkended, save for the TV's light output. And I'd leave it at those settings and work on controlling the light levels in your living room (or plan on using the Panny only at night).

Since there are many HTFers who own that model I'm sure they'd be happy to share their own picture-control settings with you. But manufacturing tolerances mean that what works on one unit may not necessarily be good for another.

And, yes, "Picture" is the term Panasonic uses for "contrast."

Good luck.

3. WarrenC

WarrenC Auditioning

Thanks for the reply.

Another subjective question: how much of an effect does having the brightness and contrast cranked have on the lifespan of the CRT?

And if somebody with a Panny can reply to my first question that would be great.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Calibration will vary depending on light, etc etc.

YOU need to go get a calibration disc and calibrate it to YOUR viewing environment. Contrast can severely limit the life of a CRT. Lowering it will significantly help reduce risks of burn in, and general wear (burn in in a general sense, rather than specific spot burn).

TV calibration is a HUGE improvement, and WELL worth the price of the disc.