What's new

Brightening and dimming of DVD images (1 Viewer)

Ron_Green

Auditioning
I'm just in the beginning of setting up some home theater equipment, and my new Sony jukebox DVD player, which I have to run through my old VHS machine to get it into my (soon-to-be-replaced) TV which has only a coax input, does this brightening-and-dimming cycle when playing certain DVD's. I thought originally it was some kind of screen saver, because it happens even on the menu of the player itself. But it doesn't occur on all discs, just some. Can anyone help me understand this phenomenon, and what component might be at fault?

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I think that what you are seeing is the effect of the MacroVision copy protection on the DVD. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR for that reason. Try hooking your DVD player up to your TV directly (May need an RF converter). That should fix the problem.

Steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You cannot run a DVD player through most VCRs because of copy protection encoded on DVDs. Not all discs have this copy protection, but most major current releases will.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
BUy an RF modulator from Radioshack to solve your connection problem. Connecting through a VCR will trigger macrovision, which is what you're seeing.

-V

Ron_Green

Auditioning
Thanks for these replies - this sets my mind at ease about my DVD player. I look forward to learning from you veterans about this equipment as I stumble through creating my little theater.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks