What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Tori and Kyle Breyer (Elizabeth Banks, David Denman) are struggling to conceive when they discover a spacecraft has landed in the woods near their home. Inside is a seemingly perfect child, and they adopt and raise him as their own. Years later, Brandon Breyer (Jackson A. Dunn) is a normal, if smart but sheltered, kid approaching puberty. When his ship reactivates, drawing Brandon in to “Take the world”, he begins to take on a made up identity, Brightburn (also the name of his town). He discovers super strength, impenetrability, and even flight and heat vision. Soon, those closest to Brandon draw his ire, but as his power grows so does his potential for global catastrophe.
MV5BNGZjZjZiYzktMmIxZi00MDNkLWJlYjYtYjhhNjQ0OGViNjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODEwMTc2ODQ@._V1_-1024x683.jpg

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ironically, I recently rewatched Chronicle. It also seemed like a missed opportunity. I'll probably give this a rent, out of curiosity.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It looks like I'll probably be giving this a try tomorrow. I'll try to keep my mind open. I tend to like movies that didn't go over well among the mainstream, so who knows. Not 4K, just the regular BR. I didn't notice if it happens to have Atmos.

EDIT: I checked. No Atmos, not even 7.1. Kind of half-assed for an action movie these days.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Watched it.

Liked it.

I have two comments.
1) A review of this movie should never have the word "moot" in it. ;)
2) Dude! Michael Rooker's character at the end is referring to Aquaman and Wonder Woman, not more "Brightburns". Because as a ranting "Alex Jones" conspiracy theorist, he can't tell the difference between a demon intent on destroying the world, and a superhero intent on saving it. Plus, it's a nod to the whole superhero genre that inspired this story.

It was better than I hoped it would be. In the end, I liked it a lot more than Chronicle.

BTW, I'm fully aware I'm in the minority of liking this movie. It's dark and sadistic. I'll disagree with RAH's assessment that it's nihilistic, but it certainly portrays a nihilistic character. There's a difference in my book. I think it achieves what it sets out to. What it sets out to achieve just isn't what a lot of people will want to watch.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Loved this. I did wish there was was a bit more of a set-up. Seems like anyone without prior knowledge this was a riff on the Superman origin story might be a bit lost at the start. On the other hand, knowing the set-up in advance, it was nice to jump right into the meat of the story since not much happens until Brandon reaches a certain age.

Hope there's a sequel. Not a huge blockbuster, but with a worldwide gross of $32.5m vs. a budget of $6m it should have made money. Apparently James Gunn (producer) mentioned on Instagram that they were discussing a sequel, but nothing was yet green-lit and he would be busy for a while on Suicide Squad 2 and GOTG 3

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks