Bright sounding speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ed Kerns, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Any one else get the impression that their ears are the weakest link in the audio chain? I've been a rock n roll musician for almost 30 years and as a kid went from one ear infection to another. In short, my hearing leaves much to be desired. I tend to be very finicky about mix and detail of sound, but my upper frequency hearing is shot. Consequently I'm shopping for a set of speakers that compensate a bit for my shortcomings. I've listened to Paradigm Mini monitors and liked them, also the small studio speakers from them. I'm sure the studio line is a better balanced speaker, but (at least in a short audition) I liked the monitors as well. I've also heard and liked the Athena F-1s, but haven't heard the F-2's. I have a Def Tech sub that produces sufficient bass to compliment what ever I choose for fronts, but I'd still like a full range speaker that could stand on it's own. I'm not sure either of the lines I've heard fit that bill, though perhaps larger enclosures like the F-2 or larger Paradigm monitors. Right now I listen to about 80% movies 20% music, but that might change if the music were to sound good again! My budget top ends at about $1000, but as always, value is everything. Any suggestions for drivers with the characteristics I describe? My receiver is an Onkyo 7.1 with 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Thanks! Ed

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Klipsch speakers -- especially the reference series -- are widely described as bright.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Do you really mean bright or just having a hard time with hearing certain frequancies in the upper end. I have some of the same issues. I also have Tinnitis which goofs up some sounds as well. I am very happy with my Rocket Sig. 750's with the 200 center and 300 surrounds. Both for music and movies which is what it is used mostly for. I have not heard the Ref. series that they offer at AV123.com but they and the newer designs of the 550's and 750's which were once thought to be dull on the higher end, they took and made a better cross over where that is not the case anymore. You might go look and get a B stock set for much cheaper. Folks are trading their 750's up to the RS1K's which is a much bigger speaker with a built in mid sub and a lot of slightly used 750's are coming back to be sold as B stock...

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    NHT's SB and Evolution speakers are quite accurate, but the tweeters sound a bit hot to me, so they would probably fit your needs well. They sound similar to the Paradigm Studios but I preferred the sound of the NHT M6 to the Studio 40 (within $100 of each other).

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Is anybody else troubled by this? How "slightly used"? The 750s have been out for a quite awhile now. I don't think of b-stock as someone's year or so old speakers that have been traded in. It seems if that is the case they should be labeled used.

Am I being too nit-picky in what I consider to be b-stock? Such as; finish flaws, returned at the end of the trial period, had a bad driver/tweeter/etc. replaced. But not a months old trade-in.

6. Mark LS

Mark LS Stunt Coordinator

These should be noted as trade-ins...

We do also have B stock... These are units that did not pass QA, etc. --- they could have a finish flaw or ???

I'm fine with what you've said Chris... No issues...

Thanks...

mls

7. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Just for everyone's info, when the speakers are trade-ins, they are labeled as such on the B Stock page and carry a corrosponding deeper discount [​IMG]

Regards,

Sean

8. Mark LS

Mark LS Stunt Coordinator

... and there you have it.

[​IMG]

All the best...

mls

9. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

Try Monitor Audio speakers.

10. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Well if you could find used Thiel speakers they are about brightest sounding speakers i've ever heard.

11. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Thiel?

Good lord.

I could name about a bunch of makes right off the top of my head that are far brighter and are recommended daily around here.

How about Def Tech, Klips(ch), Infinity, and Polk for starters?

Thiel are some of the best speakers I have ever heard, but then that was the 3.6 model, and it was a few years ago.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Axiom and Thiel would fit the bill if you want ear piercing brightness. I agree with Scott.

13. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

The top end on the 2.4's I heard could peel paint off walls! Not even VTL tubes could warm them up when I auditioned them. The mids on the 3.6's aren't as thin but the lower treble still grates my ears. I use DefTechs in my HT and they aren't as bright as Thiel or the Paradigm's they replaced to my ears. The only metal dome tweeters I really like are the ones in Amphion and of course the beryllium tweeter in JMLab's Utopia line.

14. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Thank you all for your input. I haven't heard some of the speaker lines mentioned, but will try to track them down for a listen. I do need to get over my hesitancy to try the 'Internet' brands. Logically I understand that the only way to truly know how a speaker sounds is in my room with my gear, but it takes a leap of faith to buy a box absolutely unheard. I guess that is one of the things that makes the people of this forum so valuable. Thank you again. I appreciate your recommendations.

15. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Sorry Mark for not explaining things good enough. There are times too if your real nice they can take a photo or two of the exact speakers your are getting and email it to you if there are any issues.... I have not heard one complaint on the AV123 forum of someone being unhappy with their B stock purchase or used return...

16. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

And that illustrates the very subjective nature of this business.

I have never heard a Def Tech that I could stand to listen to for more than 5 minutes.

Everyone hears things differently.

17. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wouldn't even say Def Tech's stuff is in the same category as Thiel. Thiel's are some very nice sounding speakers, and I have to agree with Elinor, I haven't been impressed by Def Tech (I haven't listened to their latest lineup). My local rep carried both, and they ultimately dropped Def Tech because they couldn't sell them after people listened to Aerial, Sonus Faber and the Thiels.

18. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have not had Def Techs but have listened to them at a local shop and a friends house. They seemed to be ok for HT but lacked in the music arena. Also when compairing with Sonus Fager and Thiels thats not near a fair compairison... Of course there probably is a big price difference too! I notice when I walk into specialty HT shops that have Def. Techs they are always in a great HT room. The others are usually in a good music listening area.

19. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I only use Def Techs for HT not for music and no they are not in the same league as Thiel in music reproduction but they do quite well for HT. I don't think Def Techs top end provides enough detail to be considered forward much less bright but like you say everybody hears differently though a number of audiophiles i've talked to share my opinion of Thiel. For music I have a 2-channel system with Tetra Spaces as my speakers.

20. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Sorry never heard of Tetra Spaces but they must be good ey?
    I am not into audio that much more so just HT. I have heard the brand names mentioned but once in awhile you hear of one you never heard the name before and this is one so one would assume it has to be pretty expensive. I love to hear the guys get on each other about the tubes they use on their 2 channel amps too. Funny.