Bright Lights Big City...Ugh! FULL SCREEN only.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Roger, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

I really enjoyed this film and was looking forward to seeing it in widesceen once released on DVD. MGM again screws a great catalog title. Jesus, even The Last American Virgin is anamorphic.

2. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

All movies should be seen OAR of course, but there's an especially compelling reason why this one should be: It was shot by the brilliant Gordon Willis (Klute, The Godfather, Manhattan, Zelig, The Parallax View, etc)

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

If there are any studio tentacles in here...I'd love to own this film as long as it's in OAR.

Phoebe Cates & New Order's 12" mix of True Faith...and a big boom '80's New York as a wonderful backdrop. Pure nostalgia for me.

4. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

hmm yeah,i was pretty disgusted to see the lack of oar on this title,the New York skyline etc would look awsome.
    I did a bit of region 2 searching,and found that this title is due out in the UK on 23rd of June,and the site that has it up for pre-order states aspect as 1.85:1 widescreen.
    The information may not be correct of course,but if true,it may be worth getting the region 2 version.
    I cant find a review anywhere to confirm the widescreen status atm though,but I'm hoping it is.
    Will keep an eye out closer to the release date here.

5. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

6. John Goodwin

Hi Patrick (and anyone who might be interested)

I've found some details on Bright Lights Big City's aspect ratio on the region 2 version.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/review...asp?Index=3267

The above site states 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen,as do most of the online retail outlets ,(they dont state anamorphic,but do say 1.85:1 widescreen),so it looks like this version is the one to go for ,if you have the means.

I've preordered it anyway,as it cant be any worse than the r1 version-but i can post again when it arrives, to confirm for sure that the aspect ratio is what is stated,if you like.

It's kind of pathetic that the region 1 is fullscreen only,and will no doubt make it look like nobody was interested in this title in the North American market.

7. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

MGM is batting 1000. It looks like a region 2 purchase for me. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul Agent

What awful cover art. What a joke.

9. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

John, thanks for remembering and for posting about this.

I've ordered the R2, a bit baffled that MGM would release it MARred in R1 when they have an OAR transfer available.

10. John Goodwin

Yeah ,its strange.
    I'm waiting to see what happens with Remo Williams on region 2,it'll be criminal if it gets released in OAR over here and the region 1 remains full screen.
    The OAR prints obviously exist,they just seem either foolish,(or lazy) to keep releasing films like these in formats that the people who will buy them (not J6P),don't want.
    Region 2 doesnt normally have much to shout about,but its becoming a worrying trend where OAR isnt even offered in region 1.It may be something to do with the number of WS tv's sold over here compared with North America,i don't know.
    Importing is fine etc,but we shouldnt have to do it to get a film the way we want it.

11. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Allow me to explain why MGM uses MAR transfers. Because they want to save time, and money. OAR versions exist...but they haven't been transferred to video yet. Old, VHS-era MAR transfers exist, and to save time and money that would have gone into making new transfers, they dump these old MAR transfers to DVD.

Maybe if MGM gets out of this financial hell-hole they're in, this will change...or maybe not.