What's new

Bright flashes in movies causes screen to be unstable. (1 Viewer)

David Bane

Grip
I have a RCA 20" TV which is about 12 years old. Whenever I play a movie through my DVD or VCR player or if I watch TV through the VCR's tuner the screen becomes distorted whenever there is a bright flash such as an explosion. The distortion takes the form of a split second vertical hold roll with maybe some color bands. This only happens when I watch something using the TV's A/V inputs (composite). If I hook up a player directly to the TV without going through a receiver or switcher everything is fine. I don't use switchers anymore since I replaced my obsolete receiver with a modern one. Is my receiver overamplifying the video signal? Or is my TV incompatible with today's modern equipment? Or maybe my TV is just dying? Someone please help me with this annoying problem!

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
To be totally honest with you it sounds like your 12 year old tv has finally met it's demise. It's rare that most tv's make it past 10 years anyway without a major problem. You could easily replace that tv with an equal if not better 19" tv for about $100. For about $200 you could even get yourself a cheap 27".

Two more points I must mention. First off, don't even consider fixing the tv at this point. It will cost you much more than it's worth. Like I said you could easily replace it for around a $100. Second, if you can afford it I would strongly recommend buying one of the new 20' Sony Wega. They run about $300 at most circuit city stores but you would be very impressed with the picture and sound.

Dan.b

David Bane

Grip
Hmm. A 27" for $200 sounds good. I have a number of movies on VHS that I won't be upgrading to DVD just yet and I was wondering how well they will look on a larger set. From what I've seen though, VHS picture quality tends to look worse on larger sets. Is this the case for all sets larger than 20"? I might have to get a new set and I'm thinking of a 25" or 27". (Do they still make 25"?)

Users who are viewing this thread