What's new

bright amp/warm spkrs or warm amp/bright spkrs (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Transparent amp, neutral speakers.

My second choice would be transparent amp, bright speakers, warm pre-amp.

Basically you are asking, how do people like to colour their sound? The best answer is, of course, not an all!

Martin.

Larry B

Screenwriter
I agree with Martin that in seeking neutral equipment. Having said that, since speakers have a greater impact on the sound than amps, I would chose a warmer speaker and then, if necessary, brighten it up a bit with an appropriate amp. In my opinion, the opposite strategy will not work nearly as well.

Larry

Geno

Supporting Actor
Those were not choices given. I figure that everyone has an opinion on which amp is bright/warm and the same for speakers and none seem to be neutral. Yes the BEST situation is neutral in every step from disc to speakers, but not everyone is fortunate to have that quality of equipment.
IMHO, I agree with Larry, bright amp/warm speakers.
Too bad my setup is opposite :)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Transparent amp, neutral speakers.
Thats easier said than done. First how do you know transparent sound unless you have been to the orignal mastering and know how it sounds right out of the horse's mouth, so to speak? I find most amps and speakers color the sound either way and ultimately its the proper speaker/amp mating that gives us the most satisfactory sound.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Yogi,
Not opening that can of worms.
Geno,
Those were not choices given.
That's because I think outside the box! :)
OK, I guess to better answer your question, I'd go for bright speakers and warm amp. But I really think you should also consider the pre-amp in the equation.
Martin.

Geno

Supporting Actor
If we consider preamp, then we have to consider signal source: cd/dvd/ld/lp/tape/dat/adat/vhs/svhs/etc, lets try to keep this simple

Yogi

Screenwriter
Actually Martin's and Geno's dissagreement would open another can of worms, i.e., what affects the sound more the amp or the preamp? If its the amp then we should be discussing amp/speaker mating but if its the preamp then shouldn't we be discussing preamp/speaker mating?
From my personal experience I can discern differences in amps of similar price range easily while it is hard for me to discern differences between preamps of similar price range unless of course I have taken a heavy dose of hallucinogens (spelling?):D.

Geno

Supporting Actor
I guess that when I said "amps" I should have said "pre-pro/amp, receiver" I believe that most people here have receivers so I shouldnt leave them out. Now I can see someone having a warm preamp, bright amp and warm speakers, or whatever combination, but my mind cant handle a 3 variable question.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Yogi,

Just to continue being contrary, I'll point out that the question is not, which of amp or pre-amp has more differentiation in a given price range, but whether the pre-amp range is noticeable or not. It could well be that amps show more range in brightness/warmth, but that doesn't mean you should discount the effects of the pre-amp, unless it's insignificant.

My preferred formula of warm pre-amp, neutral amp, and slightly bright speakers is case in point. I don't want to make the "sacrifices" with a warm amp, just to offset slightly bright speakers. I'd rather do it in a slightly warm pre-amp. Why? No valid reason - just 'cause I do.

Now in the two channel world, you could spend $2K on a nice SS preamp, or you could spend $2K on a tube pre-amp. I bet you could notice differences, unless one was specifically designed to emulate the "traditional" sound of the other. There are always exceptions.

Having said all that, for movies, I don't think a little extra brightness or warmth is nearly the factor people believe it to be, as compared to two channel music. Movies just don't get fatiguing like music can... at least for me.

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks