What's new

Brief Encounter (1946) (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Just finished watching Brief Encounter (thank you do DVD Planet for having a Criterion sale!), and I have to say that Celia Johnson's performance is perhaps one of the finest acting jobs I have ever seen.

She can speak volumes with just an expression. What an actress....

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is a wonderful film. David Lean would return to the theme of adulterous relationships numerous times (Summertime, Dr. Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter), but I don't think he ever topped Brief Encounter - largely because of the wonderful performances.
And hey, according to Billy Wilder, it inspired him to come up with the idea for "The Apartment", too. :)
Regards,

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Celia Johnson's performance is perhaps one of the finest acting jobs I have ever seen.
:emoji_thumbsup: Absolutely.
I cannot possibly overstate just how much I love this film. Her performance just devastates me every time I watch this film.
Haunting, beautiful, subtle, devastating movie. One of my all time favorites.
Joseph

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
This is perhaps my personal favorite discovery in the Criterion Collection. You hear a lot of people talk about how good The Third Man and The Passion of Joan of Arc and Seven Samurai are, and not so much about Brief Encounter. I know it's highly acclaimed - #2 on the BFI top 100 list, behind only The Third Man - but it's just not a movie you see a lot of discussion of.
I think the performances and the chemistry between the leads are wonderful. The black and white cinematography is beautiful. The story is very moving. I love this film!

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
I must agree with all the opinions expressed in this thread. This is a great movie that I would have overlooked if not for the Criterion Collections. Time and time again, they help me discover great films that I would otherwise have missed. The performances by the two leads were wonderful.

Henry

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Glad no one said the film is dated, because it's not per se - The film provides an interesting social commentary for that particular era. Not my favourite Lean - that goes to the ultra b/w masterpiece, Oliver Twist.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I have this title sitting around waiting for me to retry it. I started watching it but dozed off 20 minutes into it. Not the films fault, by any means. What I did see looked very promising.

Bruce

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not forget Rachmaninoff's lovely Piano Concerto No. 2 which accompanies the film.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As a huge David Lean fan, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I just now finished watching this movie for the first time.
Wow! Great acting, writing, and cinematography. And, at the time, one of the best uses of music in a film! I guess I should not have been surprised that the great David Lean had already greatly developed his talents as a director by 1945!
I listened to the first 30 minutes of the commentary track, which I found quite interesting. I then decided to stop so I would have something "new" to look forward to when I purchase this Criterion Disc (I watched it via Netflix).
Great movie! :emoji_thumbsup:

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
There are those who would argue that Lean reached his peak already with Brief Encounter and the two Dickens adaptations. If not for Lawrence of Arabia, I would agree. These three black and white films seem to be telling the stories so effortlessly and efficient, while still maintaining the beauty that Lean's later epics would be known for.

BTW, In The Mood For Love and Brief Encounter would be a great double feature.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I believe on the Sight & Sound poll from 1992, Brief Encounter rated higher than any other David Lean film.
Thanks to this thread, I am now reminded that I really need to see this one.
Jeff

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m with the rest in praising this film. I think that the reason that it is not more widely discussed is that its considered pretty old-fashioned by now. Modern audiences must be willing to accept the morés of the time in order to appreciate the passion underneath the surface. For those who can do so, the film offers rich rewards.
BTW, In The Mood For Love and Brief Encounter would be a great double feature.
What an idea! The more so to be able to contrast Lean’s B&W with Wong Kar-Wai’s stunning color.
When I was comparing displays a few months ago, I used this as one of my reference DVDs.
For some reason ‘Mood for Love’ also does not generate much interest in this forum.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Brief Encounter is an excellent film, and masterfully directed by Lean, and the Criterion DVD is wonderful with an excellent-and-comprehensive-as-usual commentary track by the Bruce Eder...
... but...
I hate the epilogue. Not really a spoiler, but the scene with her husband, where he asks (paraphrased) "It's all over now, isn't it?" plays it waaaaaaaay too safe, too moral, too ethically reassuring.
Everything up to that point is pitch perfect, though, and it's a shame that the film is capped by an ill-fitting tack-on.

DeeF

Screenwriter
There was a kind of remake in the 80s, Falling in Love, with Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro.
Well, yes I recognize that this is not in the same league, I just thought I'd mention it.
:)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Matthew- Actually I thought the ending was quite good. You misquoted what the husband actually said:
Rob, I thought that you could quote from memory every line of every Lean movie. :)
A lot of people probably think that! That's why I was somewhat embarrassed to admit that I just now saw this great movie for the first time! Now that I have, there is no doubt that I will be adding this to my collection of Lean movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks