Bridging Versus Bi-amping?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chas_T, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jun 1, 2002
    Just took delivery of a Sherbourn 7/2100 (Bridgeable) and I am curious what your thoughts are on bridging versus passive bi-amping.

The amp is connected to all Paradigm and for the fronts (Studio 100's) I am thinking of bi-amping only because I have some XLR Silver Cat/Cat Cables that are cut specifically for bi-amping into a "Y."

If I go the route of bridging, then I'll need to send them back for more work into a single cable versus the "Y" configuration.

Bridging versus bi-amping. Any thoughts?

I did a search and there was limited information on this topic.
  2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Apr 8, 2002
    Bridging is where you put all the resources of two amp channels into one amp channel, thus "bridgin" the two amp channels. This makes the one amp channel deliver much higher current, but also limits the channel in the resistance (ohms) department. So basically, bridging an amp is just taking two amp channels and making them one more powerful amp channel.
    BiAmping is when you use one amp channel to drive the low and the high frequencies being sent to a speaker. There are many different types of biamping, but basically they go into two different categories, each or which have two subcategories:

1. Signal Separation: Active and Passive
    This means are you using an Active or a Passive crossover type to seperate the high freqs from the low freqs
    2. Amplification Seperation: Horizontal or Vertical
    This means are you using different amps to drive the highs and the lows (horizontal), or are you using different amps to drive each speaker (vertical)

Biamping without a seperate crossover module splitting up the full-frequncy signal before it reaches the speakers' binding posts is called fools biamping, and is not really recommended. So unless you connect split or "Y" ends of your silver cats into some sort of crossover before the preamp signal goes into your amp, you are not truly biamping your mains, since you are still depending on the speakers' crossover to relegate frequency and power handling. I would also say that you shouldn't think about bridging unless your speakers have high impedance (over 6 ohms) and are very inefficient (less than 85db/w).
  3. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

Sep 25, 2002
    "Fools Biamping" [​IMG] kind of sounds like "BiWiring". Apart from the obvious fact that the speaker itself is handling the crossover (ie. the woofer can only handle frequencies to 400Hz to it lops off everything above that and the tweeter can only go down to say 5kHz so it lops off everything below that) why is this not really recommended? I seem to recall my old Denon receiver recommending this type of setup. Is it because there isn't an actual crossover so this full range signal can induce extra distortion in the individual speaker driver attempting to go beyond its designed range? If that's so, why don't the speakers use their built in crossovers for the speaker posts on the back of the speaker? That may not be as clean as a seperate crossover, but it would/should provide a reasonably workable solution, (and one could hope that the speaker manufacturer knows about their speaker and so their crossover is set accurately for the capabilities of their individual speaker drivers).

EDIT - oops just noticed you've already said this....