Bridging a micro system

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Luke!d, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Luke!d

Luke!d Auditioning

Sep 23, 2004
    I am integrating a sub into my micro system on the cheap and was
    wondering if my method of bridging is OK. All I have done is simply
    connected the positive lead oto the positive terminal on the right
    channel and the negative lead to the negative terminal of the left
    channel. The stereo has nothing about bridging in the manual. I fthis
    isn't OK, can you recommend a really easy (or not so easy) way to do
    it. Any help will be very much appreciated.
  2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Sep 30, 2002
    when you flip a switch on an amp that can be bridged, what i does it take the positive from one channel and invert it and make it the negative, and still have the positive of one channel the positive, so the difference between the two is twice as great.

when you connect just two positives and two negatives to one terminal you are messing up with impedance and might be feeding signals back to the source.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

To clarify what Allen said:
    He’s referring to the input signals that are inverted (more specifically driven out of phase) when an amp is bridged. It wasn’t clear exactly what you were referring to, input or output (speaker connections).

Not that it matters. If the amplifier was designed to be bridged, it would have a switch or other provisions to accommodate that. It would be mentioned in the manual as well. Doesn’t it tell you something that you’re coming up with zip on both accounts? When you think about it, what use would anyone have for a mini system that could be “upgraded” to higher-powered mono sound??? There hasn’t been a market for mono sound systems in something like 40 years. Maybe that’s why it wasn’t designed to be bridged.

If you’re really determined, all you have to do is cross connect the (+) and (-) terminals of the L/R signal inputs (which is what a bridging switch would do internally). Just don’t expect it to work very well, or for very long.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt