Bridges Of Madison County

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley-E, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Please Warner re-issue The Bridges of Madison County with an Anamorphic Transfer.

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Truly great little movie, isn't it? To be blunt, I was completely blindsided by it.

I had heard nothing but bad things about the book, and I carried those feelings over to the movie. I had no absolutely no intention of seeing it, but after it started racking up award nominations, I grudgingly bought a ticket, and was completely floored. Despite what you've read or heard about the book, the movie is a whole other creation, and I encourage everybody who is skeptical about the film because of the poor reputation of the prose in the book to give this a chance as a movie, handled by the best in the business. An uncredited Steven Spielberg on the production end, Clint Eastwood as director and leading man, and Meryl Streep as actress.

Richard LaGravenese did a fantastic job with the screenplay (as he always does on just about everything he touches), and Eastwood's veteran editor Joel Cox amazes. This isn't smash and grab editing, this is intuitive editing, cutting at the right moments between glances and flirtations. Beautiful work here, folks.

In Madison County, you have one of the great actresses of our time being directed by the greatest "actor's director" of our time, and the result is a beautiful, poignant human tragedy, a movie that earns its sentiment and emotional beats.

Can't praise it higher, and hopefully, all of Clint's films will be revisited on DVD someday. If ever a movie deserved a special edition, Madison County surely does.

3. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Everything that guy said!

4. Opi

Opi Stunt Coordinator

Where can I sign for a petition ?

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I really liked this film. I saw it purely for Meryl Streep at the time.

6. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

It is my deeply fervent hope that the following titles are complained about in big numbers at the forthcoming Warners chat:

ARTHUR
    THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY
    FEARLESS
    GRUMPY OLD MEN
    GRUMPIER OLD MEN

Warners, no more two-disc special editions (a la MALCOLM X, HEAT) of titles that were already in anamorphic widescreen until you at least take care of these full-screen only releases first!

7. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    I've been banging the drum for a 16x9 anamorphic transfer of this film to be released in R1 for years now. Funny how it's available this way in R2/R4, in addition to being shown on FMC and HBO-HD in 16x9, but all we get for R1 is the originally released 1997 DVD of the open matte full screen.

At least it's open matte and not P&S. This makes it at least relatively easy to hard matte it yourself for proper OAR viewing. But it's a pain in the arse and this should really be revisited as a Special Edition with a commentary track from Eastwood and Streep, with perhaps an additional commentary by the original novel's author.

8. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I agree also with Arthur and Fearless. Also a remaster of The Pelican Brief wound be nice. It was a flipper disc back in 1997! But NOT having Bridges... anamorphic is a crime. It is the only Warner Eastwood title that is FULL FRAME. I'm sure they could put together a nice little DVD. They re-did The Bodyguard.