Bridge Too Far SE--Same transfer

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven_M Grimes, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Steven_M Grimes

Steven_M Grimes Stunt Coordinator

The new R1 Special Edition is NOT a new transfer. It's the old transfer that was used on the 1998 R1 release, albeit encoded better, so overall the new disc has somewhat better detail. It's still pretty gainy, though. The special features are well-done, however, so the disc is, IMO, worthwhile.

2. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

That's good to know. I wasn't planning on double dipping on this mediocre war film anyway, but at least I know the one I've got is good enough.

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

That's odd, I could have sworn that I read it was a new transfer, or at least that the R2 version it's based off of was. My copy is on its way, so I'll be able to see for myself this week.

4. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I picked this up last week, and I think the transfer is better than the previous single disc, though it is far from perfect. It still has that foggy, saturated look to it, which is not a fault with the transfer but the way it was shot to begin with. To me, it makes it harder to know how the film really looks. Still, there are some minor improvements, and it is a recommended replacement for the previous single idsc effort.

One big plus I found was the added DD 5.1 track, which IMO is a huge improvement over the last disc. For, the soundstage is opened up to a much wider extent, and the music score for the film benefits the most. When the music opens up when the credits roll, I almost had to turn it down a little since it was very loud and powerful. Surrounds are used much better as is bass response and stereo effects, though don't expect a thoroughly aggressive mix in the battle scenes since the film is nearly 30 years old.

I haven't had time to go through the extras, but it was nice to see the film get a 2-disc treatment with some worthwhile supplements.

Overall I think people will be impressed with this set if they are looking to upgrade, and picking up Battle of Britain 2-disc makes a nice addition as well, which I am still tryign to find time to look at.

5. Steven_M Grimes

Considering the filtered cinematography (by Geoffrey Unsworth) it's unlikely that any transfer will ever look sparkling, but I was disappointed with this. Direct comparison between the new and older R1 disc highlight, at least to me, that they are based upon the same master. True, the new disc's image has been cleaned up (less dirt) and given more bitrate, but it still looks very much like a seven year old plus transfer (the original R1 was released in 1998).

I'm not really all that bothered by it, mind you, for the new disc is easily the best the film has ever looked on home video (I haven't seen the R2 special edition). I was just hoping for...more. (The film is a personal favorite.)

6. Maggi Magg

Maggi Magg Stunt Coordinator

There is one thing i did notice about this release that are not good news.
    The trivia track gets a different track number then the movie.
    The movie itself is track number 1 but the trivia is track 3 on this disc.
    I would think that putting this long movie twice on to a DVD is stretching a bit too much 2:55:44 x 2= 5:51:28!!!!
    That´s almost 6 hours on a dual layered disc!!!!
    Hello!!!! Sony what are you thinking?
    The Great Escape DVD R1 did have same kind of trivia track but that was encoded on the same track so i don´t see what Sony encoding team was thinking.

Cheers
    Maggi

7. ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig Stunt Coordinator

Is the trailer located on any of the 2 Discs? Would love to know this for Battle of Britain as well

8. Steven_M Grimes

The trailer for A BRIDGE TOO FAR is on disc 2.

9. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I don't have the disc yet so I can't confirm, but are you quite sure the movie is encoded twice on the DVD? I believe it's possible to "link" titles in such a way that Title 3 really points to Title 1 but adds subtitles. Just because you see a different title number may not mean the movie has been encoded twice on the disc.

Can anyone verify this?

10. Maggi Magg

I´m quite sure

11. Jesse Blacklow

I'm about to pick it up, I'll try and post a pic from DVD Decrypter that shows the size of the two separate titles.

ETA: Well, I couldn't get the pics, but DVD Decrypter shows two titles with a total running time of 5 hours and 52 minutes. My bitrate reader program sees the same thing, with an average bitrate of < 5Mbps, which is confirmed in real-time with the OSD in TheaterTek 2.2. Not a good sign.

12. Maggi Magg

Here is DVD Decrypter window showing 2 titles with the time 2:55:44
    [​IMG]

and here is the bitrate viewer showing the same thing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maggi

13. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

For what it is worth; the R2 SE (with trivia track) doesn't
    look like that in DVDDecrypter. The film shows up
    as one title. It has an average data rate over 7MB/s.

14. Maggi Magg

It figures
    Waiting for this title for 2 years to be released in R1 as an SE and they screw it up big time.
    The main reason i held out where the Location Captions.
    They are player generated on the R2 release (RickardL, correct me if i´m wrong.[​IMG])
    And i also thought the tranfer would be better.
    Stupid me.[​IMG]

Anyway this didn´t cost me an arm and a leg, guess i´ll wait for HD release.

Cheers
    Maggi

15. Jesse Blacklow

Isn't this deserving of a recall, or notice, or something? It's obviously a technical mistake, and it sounds like something that should be addressed to CTHV immedeatly.

16. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal

Agreed. Is there anyone that this issue can be brought to?

This has been done in the past where discs with defective or technical errors in subtitles or mastering have been replaced with other ones.

I'm sure this can be no different, since the title is not a major studio release.

17. Steven_M Grimes

Guys, the movie isn't encoded twice. There are two titles, but both use the same source files. The movie itself takes up about 7.3 gigs. The easiest way to see this is to load the movie into DVD Shrink and keep the preview on. You'll see that the movie is only on the disk once.

18. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

That's what I meant in my earlier post about "linking" titles. I'm not convinced those DVD Decrypter screenshots prove otherwise.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Lets not jump the gun yet without further confirmation!

Crawdaddy

20. Maggi Magg

Ok let´s say for argument sake this is correct that the movie is only decoded once.
    Then they(SONY) have done a bad job.

Anyway this is a crappy transfer one of the worst i have ever seen.
    Shimmering most of the time and all kinds of film damage.
    Don´t buy it!!!!!!

Cheers
    Maggi